RioVolt MP3/CD player...bad sound need headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In have the SP50 MP3/CD player from RioVolt (SonicBlue) and the sound is absolutely terrible out of it, which makes my $100 headphones sound like a $5 pair from Best Buy! So, I decided that I want to build a headphone amp for it. I found the LM4881N from National Semiconductor. It is a 200mW x 2 Boomer series headphone amp. Has anybody used one of these? Does it work well? Also, what is a good value for the resistors and caps for decent gain and no high-pass filter? I am going to run it from a 9Volt battery ran through a 7805 5V regulator.

Thanks, Mike

For the absolute best-on-the-net tutorial on DIY headphone amps there is, go to:

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/

If you have never built a DIY amp before, his CMoy (originally designed by Chu Moy at www.headwize.com ) amp tutorial will start you from page one, and give you a very nice headphone amp for ~$50 all out, and ~$25 if you are skimping. RatShack protoboard, Digikey hand-matched parts and a BurrBrown 2132 opamp makes a very nice little amp. You can fit it in an Altoids tin, or get fancy with a different enclosure.

His (and others - it is a group effort) high-end PPA amp project, for which he sells a PCB and also has loads of detailed instructions, will run you ~$150 - $200 in parts and will rival any solid state amp on the market.

There is a very strong DIY community at www.head-fi.org , also. Tangent is among many people who hang there and will be happy to answer any questions.

GnD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.