Decent sounding mp3 player that plays FLAC and WMAL? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2012, 07:40 PM   #11
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Of course, it also depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 5th April 2012, 07:44 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The Sansa Clip Plus definitely looks like a good bang-for-buck ~$30-40!

Since the Sansa has a Micro SD card slot, does it really matter if I get the 2, 4 or 8 Gb one?

How large of an SD card can the Sansa take?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 6th April 2012, 04:00 AM   #13
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

i've had a 16G card in my sansa clip+, until i took it out for my phone
Old 6th April 2012, 06:41 AM   #14
ianrt is offline ianrt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default SD card in Sansa Clip+

I've got a 32GB card (the maximum) in my 8Gb Clip+, giving me 40Gb, which I need for my FLAC collection.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The Sansa Clip Plus definitely looks like a good bang-for-buck ~$30-40!

Since the Sansa has a Micro SD card slot, does it really matter if I get the 2, 4 or 8 Gb one?

How large of an SD card can the Sansa take?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 6th April 2012, 10:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that while lossless files will work, playing them shortens battery life quite considerably. On the Clip+, it's about 14 hours and change for mid-bitrate MP3/Vorbis with no extra storage, 12 hours with a µSD card inserted and about 7-8 hours playing FLAC (depending on bitrates). This is for Rockbox; in the OF even the presence of a µSD card about halves runtime.

Since FLAC has been shown to decode very efficiently, it has to be the increased storage access that's gnawing at battery life.

Therefore a lossy format may very well be the more practical option. Medium bitrates tend to be quite sufficient for first-generation encodes (I have been quite unable to ABX LAME -V 6 -q 0 versus lossless).

Oh, and whatever you do, feed a rockboxed player with 44.1 kHz material only.

The player could even take a 64 gig card provided it were reformatted in FAT32.

IIRC the 2 gig Clip+ exists in multiple versions with differing displays.

Last edited by sgrossklass; 6th April 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 6th April 2012, 10:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

cowon actually has tech specs for their products...S/N is 97-98db...most other products dont show squat. Maybe there is a reason for that? Even shitty apple doesnt show specs.
Old 7th April 2012, 01:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

DAC wise, even the most basic DAPs seem to reach 89..90 dB SNR when measured (ones with fancier codecs fare better). In practical use, SNR is limited by PGA/headphone amp noise more often than not. Noise level evaluation still is best performed using sensitive IEMs.

Apple may not be publishing specs, but they do seem to be using good hardware. The iPhone 4, for example, is one of the few devices to be dead silent in terms of hiss while providing good distortion figures. Only the codec's headphone amp seems to be running out of steam sooner than some others. (Thankfully these iOS based devices do not seem to have inherited the crappy digital processing found in older models like the iPod Classic.)

Cowon are still sticking with capacitor-coupled outputs. As such, bass response is a bit of a problem when driving low-impedance IEMs, not to mention distortion introduced down there. It does allow them to post better SNR and THD values.

Something like a Clip+ / Clip Zip does not give top scores in any single discipline save for output resistance. It does have negligible digital filter passband ripple, a DC-coupled output and a headphone amp with plenty of grunt and acceptably low distortion, plus the option of running Rockbox on a current-production player is priceless.
Old 15th April 2012, 06:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

sgrossklass, what is your favorite MP3 player to play FLAC files then? Or what do you think has the best quality?
Old 15th April 2012, 07:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the multiple post, but sgrossklass how about pairing whatever MP3 you recommend to a FiiO E6? Or is there a better smaller amp?
Old 15th April 2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Limp is offline Limp  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
cowon actually has tech specs for their products...S/N is 97-98db...most other products dont show squat. Maybe there is a reason for that? Even shitty apple doesnt show specs.
Even better, how about the full Rocketscientist/NwAvGuy test suite?

I like the rockboxed Clip+ so much that I got myself a second one, just in case

According to the good folks over on anythingbutipod.com, the + and Zip appear to be pretty much identical under the hood.

Hide this!Advertise here!