Using HA-5002 instead of LME49600 on THE WIRE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess the -145dB that qusp was pulling from memory is related to these measurements - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...-headphone-amplifier-pcbs-90.html#post2790611

That was the latest set of measurements I could find in that thread. I personally haven't spent much time considering tweaks to the performance because I know the limitations in my system are elsewhere.

Is there another design using the 9600 paralleled into a power amp? I was under the impression there was, am I wrong?

The specs look impressive, how does it sound? I've built a few of these types of amps and they sound good but sometimes specs can fool you. Yes, we all need specs and I'm not saying this amp sounds flat or dry but I know that they never seem to make people smile the way a tube does. I think it's the way we hear and interpret sounds. (I don't want to get into a tube SS debate here, to each his own)

Personally I like hybrid amps, even my "5002 Project" for aX is run with my 6SN7 preamp or my new tube amp coming out in the May issue which isn't the quietest amp in the world but everyone who hears it smiles and wants one. I did a blind test and the difference was amazing, listeners, both seasoned and non-audiophiles (whatever that is!) all went to the hybrids to a person.

I've seen specs on amps and thought, "this must sound like garbage" but I've been completely wrong! So, yes, specs are important but remember no one has the spec for musicality and what makes us really love a sound.

Again, I don't want to diminish this amp, it looks very good but I use these 'super chips' to give a neutral sound and to bring out everything in my hybrids. If you get aX take a look next month at how I mated a tube to these types of chips.

Rob

Last edited:
Is there another design using the 9600 paralleled into a power amp? I was under the impression there was, am I wrong?

Yes, there is the LPUHP version also - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...gh-perfromance-lpuhp-16w-power-amplifier.html - measurements/specs are all in the first few posts for that one. Its not really a headphone amplifier other than for those headphones that are really just speakers strapped to your head.

I haven't built mine yet so can't comment on the sound. I haven't read anywhere of anyone finding the sound lacking on any of opc's designs, I haven't read of any blind tests though and I'm happy to admit that anyone who's just finished building something is never in an un-biased position.

The power amp is an interesting design, I think the 9600 chips are probably better than the older 5002's I used in my amp although the 5002 amp sounds pretty darn good. It needs some tweaks but I've been listening to it for over a year everyday at my computer with no fatigue. I'm running Dynaudio x12's which aren't the most efficient speakers either but I do run a powered sub which helps.
I'm going to build an LM1875 amp to compare it to the 5002 just to see the difference. As much as I like tubes I don't like them as power amps, I'm not a big transformer fan and I think the chip buffers make better interstage (transconductance) devices. You get all the sound from the tube in the line amp in my view. Again, to each his own.
I like these high slew rate chips, I think there is something to that, the LM1875 and 3886 aren't especially hi slew rate and that's why I want the comparison.

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.