how to store headphone cables?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just put my headphone cables into a lasso loop, you just need a slight twist to keep them from making weird loops. Then headphones and cable into a headphone sized nylon bag I got from a craft store. This keeps the whole thing untangled from equipment and other cables.

thanks for the input, i took this advice, but used large ziplocs instead and placed dessicant bags inside to keep moisture out, got some clips and j hangers, screwed the j hangers behind my cabinet doort and used the clips to hold the bags while using the handle to hang in the j hook. i know pics would make a whole lot of sense, i am still figuring how to post pics...

The nylon bags I got are breathable and i'm not sure if moisture would affect the drivers negatively... Might have some issues if you live in Malaysia with high humidity or some place like that with wood Grado headphones, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

btw, I am using a regular pair of Grado SR60i and that cable is hefty. My good smaller in ear buds, I just wrap them up around an old fishing line spool (the cables are too flimsy) and they go into another bag with the other earbud type stuff.

Amp-wise, none so far. Been begging and borrowing just to test out a few out as that is a one of the amp projects I have written down. The little chip inside does make a noticeable difference at times.

In the end, it is looking like a BB CMoy just for the heck of it (cheap enough, easy build, and small enough to take with you). If I am lazy, an off the shelf headphone amp (siliconnray has a FA1 Beyerdynamic clone or I'll get an O2 plugged in).

As it stands, the headphones sound extremely darned good out any of my old vintage 70's and 80's amps -- just very overkill in terms of size.

What are you using for amplification?

i wish i had vintage equipment, just got into this hobby and starting really low, just finished my mini3 amp and learned a great deal, parts for the o2 amp is on the way, i was going to build pete millets yaha in kit form but i guess due to the tubes no longer available, pcbs and kits are no longer offered. just doing my best to learn as much as i can.

back to the original topic, i used 2" pcv endcaps to store my iems, the end caps stack pretty well and i could use label stickers on the side so i know which iem is which

I haven't found any earbuds that store very well other than spooling them and even then, they get into tangled mess at times. This is where the bags come in handy again.

The Mini3 is nice and straightforward, except never got to try one. The vintage amplifers are relatively cheap, in fact I only paid for one ($50 for an hk 330i -- not the best hk out there, but I liked the looks), the other ones (Sony, Hitachi, and a Technics), and parts (Pioneer, TEAC, Realistic) of were all free from parent's friends and friends of mine.

I call it the "HDMI syndrome" -- when you can't hook something up to your flat panel via HDMI, a family member will tell you to throw it in the garbage.

While there are several good reasons to pick up some vintage gear - like look and feel - headphone driving usually isn't one. You normally find the usual cheap high-resistance power amp taps well in the hundreds of ohms. Preamp sections can be distinctly free from lack of coloration, too.

I never found much need for organizing the cable on any of my "grown-up" cans save for spooling them loosely. In-ears of the better kind usually come with handy transport cases to store them spooled up. The ones supplies with Shures are quite good.

yeah for now my k240 is the only grown up can i have, i consider my beats as being a fad and a mistake. i do have a couple of old iems i had since high school that is why i dont have any case for them. as far as vintage, i am setting up a system of both diy and prebuilt equipment, i ordered a tritrix kit as my first diy speaker. i plan on using a dedicated headphone amp for my headphones, and vintage equipment per se for my listening media center. and also i guess it is just personal choice but i hate to see cables just hanging...thanks for the inputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.