Thor, an all discrete Lateral FET Headphone Amplifier. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 06:14 PM   #11
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

higher V also gives less distortion - can avoid instability from device parasitics that increase near saturation - at least several V extra, >2x Vth is a good idea

but as a intellectual puzzle can you tell me why if 2-3x over bias/current reserve is so good why isn't more V margin as important

since by publishing the circuit here you are implying others might want to build it - it is good to spell out the assumptions, limitations, particularly if the circuit is "optimized" for a particualr headphone

I wouldn't call ~7 Vrms to be the end point for headphone amp Vout

another point is that other builders would want to know how closely did you match input Q - how much performance degrades with mismatch, Vth can still vary despite Idss match

Last edited by jcx; 27th February 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post

but as a intellectual puzzle can you tell me why if 2-3x over bias/current reserve is so good why isn't more V margin as important

since by publishing the circuit here you are implying others might want to build it - it is good to spell out the assumptions, limitations, particularly if the circuit is "optimized" for a particualr headphone

I wouldn't call ~7 Vrms to be the end point for headphone amp Vout

another point is that other builders would want to know how closely did you match input Q - how much performance degrades with mismatch, Vth can still vary despite Idss match
It is mainly built for 32-150 Ohm headphones but someone who wants to drive 600 Ohm headphones or need more output voltage could just increase the supply to +/- 18VDC instead of +/- 12VDC. +/- 18VDC is the limit of the DC Servo Opamp.

Input JFETs are matched to around 6mA with each pair being within 0.1mA of each other and the N and P channel pairs being with 0.2mA of each other.

This is just a fun little project, done in my spare time. I shared it so other people could build it if they want or get some inspiration from it.

It is what it is.

Last edited by Neutrality; 27th February 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:03 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Also, the JFET Source resistor of 240 Ohm will give around 3-3.5 mA through each JFET if they are matched to around 6 mA IDSS. JFETs with higer IDSS will need a larger value JFET Source resistor. As an example JFET's with 10 mA IDSS will need a 470 Ohm source resistor.
Old 28th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I took a few pictures today.

One will notice is that I did not make the correct Eagle model for the Silver Mica compensation caps so I had to bend the legs a little and they are also a little too close to the transistors than I would normally want them to be.

However the rest of the PCB layout works very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (840.0 KB, 640 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (721.6 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (838.4 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (786.6 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (610.4 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (622.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Neutrality; 28th February 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

If anyone is interested I have enough boards left for 4 or 5 headamps.

Selling these for $20 USD a pair + postage due to the suboptimal compensation cap placement.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Count me in for a pair.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:02 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
It is mainly built for 32-150 Ohm headphones but someone who wants to drive 600 Ohm headphones or need more output voltage could just increase the supply to +/- 18VDC instead of +/- 12VDC. +/- 18VDC is the limit of the DC Servo Opamp.

Input JFETs are matched to around 6mA with each pair being within 0.1mA of each other and the N and P channel pairs being with 0.2mA of each other.

This is just a fun little project, done in my spare time. I shared it so other people could build it if they want or get some inspiration from it.

It is what it is.
You could use the LSK389 for the N channel pair. No equivalent P channel type is currently in production as far as I know.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
You could use the LSK389 for the N channel pair. No equivalent P channel type is currently in production as far as I know.
Thats the problem, no dual P-channel in production. I would rather just match both the N and P channel JFET's than use a dual N-channel JFET+2 matched P channel JFET's.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to doing schematics and layouts, I like it to be as symmetric as possbile. Using 1 dual + 2 single JFET's just isn't symmetric enough.

Last edited by Neutrality; 28th February 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
Thats the problem, no dual P-channel in production. I would rather just match both the N and P channel JFET's than use a dual N-channel JFET+2 matched P channel JFET's.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to doing schematics and layouts, I like it to be as symmetric as possbile. Using 1 dual + 2 single JFET's just isn't symmetric enough.
Well, if you were open to NPN and PNP matched pairs in the same package, then Analog Devices makes these things.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Well, if you were open to NPN and PNP matched pairs in the same package, then Analog Devices makes these things.
Well, after I found the complementary floating JFET input stage topology I'm never going back to BJT's for input stages and output stages. For VAS, drivers and other stuff I would still use them.

Hide this!Advertise here!