THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good form indeed... If only every workspace was as tidy and organized as yours!

The boards look great, and soldering is top notch. Thanks for posting the pictures, and you'll have to keep up to date on the rest of the build when it materializes.

Cheers,
Owen

Odac & The Wire

Cheers, yep am a big fan of Peter's [including stalking him on FB] and can't wait to get Great North Road :)

Work area is only tidy because I have to keep clearing everything away afterwards...

My Odac arrived Monday morning fron JDS Labs, and in the evening it got temporarily hooked to the Wire se-se. Once this weekend arrives and I have to time to start drilling holes, it'll find a permanent place here...

O2 or The Wire se-se - The Wire for sure. By the way of frequency response and overall presentation I can't tell the two apart, but The Wire does present much finner detail from source material. For me, if The Wire is giving 100% then the O2 is offering about 98% or so.

Pioneer DV-757Ai (£800 new), Oppo DBP-83 (£600 new) or ODAC (£60) - The Oppo is bettered by both the odac and my lightly modified Pioneer, and for the moment [no AB test] it's a tie between the other two and I'd hate to make a call on which has my preference at this stage. The Odac is very good though.

Paul.

Attachments

• odac_inplace_temp.JPG
    odac_inplace_temp.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 794
Odac and The Wire

Well I spent yesterday [Sunday] afternoon fitting the Odac into the chassis and hooking up switched inputs.

The toroidal transformer needed to be moved more centrally to allow room at the rear of the case for the dac. A 4PDT [on-on] switch was used as an input selector and allows A/B switching between sources.

A small piece of pref-board was used to try and make the job of wiring the input to potentiometer to amp a little easier.

The very small difference in noticed between the Odac and Pioneer [better], apears to have gone now it's fully connected. I'm sure if I try hard enough I can find some subjective difference between the two :)

Paul

Attachments

• thewire1.JPG
    thewire1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 745
  • thewire2.JPG
    thewire2.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 711
  • thewire3.JPG
    thewire3.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 707
  • thewire4.JPG
    thewire4.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 681
Today soldered The Wire Se-Se! It was a tough job with thick soldering iron I have at hand. It took me 3 hours to finish the process. Tested finished PCB with DM, and all seems fine. Probably will do real testing little bit later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 248
To keep this thread going I want to tell you guys that my (assembled) SE-SE board that I got in the 'Clean Out Everything Sale' now has a working psu to go with it.
The rest will take a little while more since I couldn't resist to create a fine case or housing for a fine amplifier (and I haven't even heard it :D:D). PSU will be in a separate case connected by short umbilical... a few weeks from now ;).

Attachments

• wire-psu-1.jpg
    wire-psu-1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 279
  • wire-psu-2.jpg
    wire-psu-2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 212
  • wire-psu-3.jpg
    wire-psu-3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 239
Finished the project finally! I built the SE-SE TheWire for a difficult customer: a pair of 600-ohm AKG K240DF. My Benchmark DAC1 USB cannot drive them to a proper output level unless I remove the internal headphone amp's 10-db pad-down, but so doing is not favored when I use other lower impedance phones as they tend to be too laud before you begin to turn up the volume. So I decided to serve the AKGs with a separate drive.

I found a gain of +12db (or 4x) works well for the 240DF when feeding the input with 2VrmsFS signal level taken from the Benchmark DAC1 RCA output. The amplifiers never get over driven, and I seem to get the highest volume level that I would like to listen to without feeling uncomfortable with the volume knob pointing at 3-o'clock.

How does TheWire perform? I went through a few albums using a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 on Benchmark DAC1 USB to compare with. I found TheWire made the 240DF produces a glorious yet extremely natural, distortion-free sound when driven to a proper output level, especially when I was playing Joan Sutherland's 1968 Lakme. I never realized Sutherland sounds that good on headphones.

7490018846_bac36a9ff0_b.jpg
7490035854_8e5a45769a_b.jpg
7490020634_7082ece339_b.jpg
7490033898_c2d8d9f5ec_b.jpg
7490028278_a20664a775_k.jpg

You are not alone, a headamp needs the ability to swing at least +15db gain for my 600 ohm AKG sexetts and then the hifimans need 6Vrms into 38 ohms for my HE5-LE's. Hoping the 15W wire version can do this.

Part of it is because of the power hungry hifimans but with the 600 ohm AKG's, you need a lot of gain in order to handle oddball low volume recordings and high dynamic recordings.
There needs to be more focus on high voltage swing and high wattage low distortion headamp designs to cover a greater selection of phones

My first attempt working with SMDs. A Bal-SE version of The Wire with a PSU and a Sapphire in a 19" rackmount case. Pots are 10k.

RR

Attachments

• IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 235

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Absolutely stunning! Now that's a finished project to be proud of :)

I honestly can't see a single thing that could be improved. You managed a great layout, that looks like an excellent balanced stepped attenuator, and you kept the output run nice and short with the transformer a decent distance from the board itself.

Kudos on the great work :cheers:

You'll have to report back with listening impressions when you get around to it.

Cheers,
Owen

Happy happy, Joy joy...

iirc, the O2 should be capable of handling upto 2.8VRMS before troubling the input section...

Can vouch for the Wire se-se being happy with 2VRMS from an ODAC and 2.16VRMS from a CD player.

Built up a second Wire & psu's last week, so while the iron was hot I replaced the 1K input resistors on my original build with 0R jumpers [used with an Alps RK27 10K pot]... Overall volume has increased slightly and it appears to have opened up the dynamic range of recordings a little more.

This last month I've been using The Wire for listening duties with movies also... the DD & DTS high-def tracks are amazing, shame I don't get this level of detailing from my AV amp. The fan on the projector probably doesn't help here either...

Over all am super happy with The Wire

Paul.

BuildMeSomething... did you mean 10k input resistors?

Finally finished my SE-SE. Bought a custom case from eBay and I'm quite happy. My only wish was that the amp was smaller but my choice for a power supply dictated a slightly larger case. Anyhow, things are going quite swimmingly with the amp. Here's some pics...

DSC_0032+-+Version+2.jpg

DSC_0035+-+Version+2.jpg

DSC_0036+-+Version+2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.