THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2012, 06:05 PM   #31
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Should I repost the pictures of my version 1 wire build in this thread?

V2 is currently in the works
Old 17th February 2012, 08:26 PM   #32
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
functionally yes, but adding 7 components in each phase, including 2 integrated circuits (at least one of which has THD numbers worse than the dac) and a transformer, with what is likely not a small amount of feedback, where nothing at all is needed; is hardly the same thing.
Are you referring to my post? Just to clarify, what you were looking at in my schematic is an RFI filter. No reason to bash...

The schematic served the purpose of making clear that priorities and use cases can vary with each of us. It has nothing to do with my other point about volume control. Buffer and pot could of course be replaced with something else, like a relais ladder or a rotary switch.

I just wanted to make it a point that THE WIRE can also be built by not going with the flow, as being minimalist for the sake of being minimalist can be wrong, likewise. Say, for example, you use the amp for serious things, like, working with people in something that could be called professional audio. You have this amazing, minimalistic gear that looks and sounds all fancy, wired to some other gear (that you might not have control of). And then someone puts their cell phone into close proximity. Booom bzzr bzzr bzzr, credibility lost.

Quote:
[...] adding extra components can only degrade performance and in your circuit, linearity, noise and expense are all increased for no reason.
Wrong statement, and subjectivist on top. I can easily prove that an EMI filter improves performance (with regard to EMI). Can you prove your statement that it degrades performance (with regard to sound quality)? But I'm not here to argue.

You see, leaving out components can degrade performance, too. As long as there's an improvement, the added complexity is justified. You can't interface THE WIRE to absolutely anything, anywhere you go. But the EMI filter you see in above schematic (common mode choke, X2Y caps, ESD protection using TVS diodes) is such a tiny SMD circuit that it can be bypassed with a simple jumper on the PCB in case it is not required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fualcr View Post
this amp is tiny (like I could probably hold ten of them in my palm)!
Yes, it's so small that I seriously think about reflow soldering it in my oven.
Considering thermal transfer of the LME49600 and all...

Cheers,
Sebastian.
Old 18th February 2012, 01:06 AM   #33
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

sek, you are the one talking about magic devices. higher THD (the PGA) improves THD now? the filter is perfect and thus only effects the higher frequencies? the inductor is linear? this is a rhetorical post, because neither can possibly be true. lets get back on topic, you can argue with reason by PM if you must

Last edited by qusp; 18th February 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 18th February 2012, 08:23 AM   #34
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

qusp, are you referring to my post again?
How do you come up with PGAs when looking at my schematic and reading my text?

I never considered you the kind of DIYer calling RFI filters magic devices. Or cell phones. There are scenarios where you better have your equipment ruggedized, depending on what you want to do. Just saying...

About getting back on topic, well, I was merely picking up the topics of pre-WIRE volume control and tinyness, when someone started to argue with me about some TI chips.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: I got your PM, thanks.
Old 18th February 2012, 09:50 AM   #35
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i took the pot/opamp on the output as a PGA, i'm actually not sure how you would represent the pga in a simplified schematic being a combined 4 channel attenuator, MCU and opamp, but if its just a couple of lower performance dual opamps and a pot, sorry for the misunderstanding, but my position stays the same as the 2211 is inferior as well. it seemed in theme with the schematic of too many parts for the job, if it isnt representing the pga, but instead just as it appears, why would you need the wire? given youde be getting a pcb made up for the attenuator, wouldnt you just put a couple of lme49600 on the output of the 'pot' and call it a day?

anyway lets just agree to disagree, you have a completely different preference for design than i do and we'll never agree and thats cool..thats audio

i'm surprised the wire appeals to you TBH

Last edited by qusp; 18th February 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 18th February 2012, 04:58 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
nah its 100% DIY and i never planned for it to go on sale so its not documented and i dont plan to, also perhaps you would do a double take if you saw the cost to complete a unit. i'll have more pics of it in the next couple of days, just uses a modified buffalo II, a PSU/MCU of my design, but laid out by Nattonrice, transformer coupled spdif and the bal-bal wire. all parts are OTT and once the chassis is finished it will have cost around 1500-1750 minimum. its more transportable than portable, but comfortably fits in my manbag or coat
Interesting projetc. Would love to read more about it and of course to see some photos!
Old 19th February 2012, 10:52 AM   #37
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Qusp's posts about digital volume control really got my attention, I always dismissed this atten method because in the old days there wasn't enough bit depth. I'm putting together this hifidino controlled WM8741 DAC and looked at the wolfson datasheet it mentions 32bit (unfortunately it is rather vague as far wether the WM8741 actually uses 32bit calculation with its attenuation.) But I think I will include a set of wire amps inside the DAC enclosure for a headphone output.

It looks like I will have 1 SE-SE pcb and 2x re-work PCB's. I vaguely remember some info on the Frankenwire with it operating as a a bal-bal but with more VRMS output capability, but I couldn't find the info in the big thread.

Is anyone building the unofficial Frankenwire and is it OK if we include discussion of it here ?
Old 19th February 2012, 11:08 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I think this is a perfect home for those who are constructing frankenwire or mutantwire.

Wolfsin, how have your experiments gone with your mutants? Been distracted by JC80 construction and left the mutantwire projects languishing I suspect? We're all hoping to see them take life some day!
Old 21st February 2012, 12:03 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Need help. What value of potentiometer should i choose for The Wire SE-SE? I want to buy DACT 21 step 1% smd resistor attenuator and there are values: 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K, 250K. As I understood more resistance gives better control at low level of volume and low resistence like 10K gives better control at high volume. So maybe I should take something like 20K or 50K ? Suggestions are welcome.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:36 PM   #40
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you planning on purchasing those? They look to be DACT knockoffs...

Hide this!Advertise here!