THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mull3t,

That is indeed a great looking build! You did a great job on the layout, and everything looks clean and presentable.

Thanks also for the comments on your listening experience. They are always very much appreciated.

You guys have inspired me to finally get mine finished up, so keep an eye for some photo updates in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Owen

and why is this posted in the build gallery? these 'are there any boards left' posts seem to follow this design everywhere. even though its in big red letters on the first page and wiki that

there are no boards left!

which one are you after? there are several versions of the design. you might find one if you make a want to buy post in the for sale area, but they were all snaffled up and these want to buy posts dont seem to get much response.

you wont get permission, but that wont stop you =)

they are all 3 or 4 layer boards, if you are doing your own 2 layer layout you will have to make quite a number of changes. impossible to DIY 4 layer boards at home apart from sticking 2 x 2 layer together.

but please take your further posts on the subject somewhere more appropriate

Last edited:
Qusp,

Time to call the cops - looks like someone stole your big red letters. Having read most of the pages of this thread it is obvious that not all of the boards have been built, making the post seem like a reasonable question. Also, having been to Australia and Brisbane in particular, I must commend you on being the first rude Aussie I've run across. Having a bad hair day?

no this is the normal me, read the design thread (the place this should have been posted if anywhere) and search for 'are there any PCBs left' and see how many hits you get, then see who had to answer it the first few dozen times and you might get an idea of why it annoys me.

Owen stopped answering at all because it was so common

I was referring to the design thread, not this thread. I started this thread, by that time I figured I didnt need to add that, but hey thats for the reminder, i'll go do that now...

here it is

the wire headphone amp build wiki

sorry not red, just caps and bold. the ability to edit first posts was not enabled until recently

oh and here in a related thread front page where Owen had to do the same, note the slight edge of frustration in the Caps

oh and the power amp thread where it was the same, even sometimes when the question is answered on the very page its asked. that happened in the headphone amp thread repeatedly too...

the number of times we have to answer this question that would be answered with a very simple search, or reading the front page is ridiculous.

these amps sold out within days, it has now been well over 6 months since that.

guessing you dont know many Aussies, just because youve been here doesnt mean you know us, and it particularly doesnt mean you know me....i'm just fed up with answering this question and I dont mind saying so.

plus, this is a build thread, even if there were PCBs it shouldnt be asked in here.

love the sarcastic edge btw, very endeering

Last edited:
qusp: I hope you post plenty of pictures when it's complete :)

not complete, but the electronics are. the bal-bal the wire is hiding under the 4 layer regulator/batt monitor/digi volume control/toslink board.

thanks nattonrice! for the layout

as you can see the buff II has been modified for low profile as well, solid titanium volume knob, lemo connectors, amphenol multicore battery balance/charge cable (will get some pics for that, looks sweet) dual bipolar low noise regulators for the bal-bal front end, direct power for the buffers from the 4 x A123 LiFePO4 2300mAh battery and soon i'll add a converted SE-SE the wire fed with low noise reference as the regulator for the clock

transformer coupled spdif underneath, lt1963A for prereg for the BII, a couple more regs for good measure...

Attachments

• portable BII-ES9018-Bal-Bal front_06Nov2012_1383.jpg
    portable BII-ES9018-Bal-Bal front_06Nov2012_1383.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 663
  • in temporary case but done_05Nov2012_1362.jpg
    in temporary case but done_05Nov2012_1362.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 674
  • in temporary case but done_05Nov2012_1368.jpg
    in temporary case but done_05Nov2012_1368.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 659
  • portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1375.jpg
    portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1375.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 660
  • portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1379.jpg
    portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1379.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 650
Has anyone powered up the wire headphone amp with a few batteries?

I picked up a 12V Portable 9800mAh Li-ion for a dac I'm putting together. I might just try it.

Might be digging up something incredibly old here, but I just bought what seems to be your build of The wire (I don't know if there were multiple or just one, but it's the one that was apparently for sale here I think: FS: The Wire headphone SE-SE headphone amplifier).

Any chance you tried putting a battery onto The Wire? Also, is there a minimum spacing I should keep between the transformer and the doggy-mounted PSU+SE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.