THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 12:04 PM   #101
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally I think any DC coupled head amp needs a muting relay that monitors the DC on the output, even better if it monitors the rails (on a split supply.) And even that isn't a fail-safe guarantee, a fuse on the mains isn't going to give much protection for the headphones, if you have the transformer sized right and want a fuse lower than its VA rating, you're looking at a slo-blow to survive the inrush. And the slo-blow fuse probably has killed more headphones than anything

I use AT's for a cheap sub after building a dc-coupled amp for a month before I casually plug in expensive Grados, and I know for an unfortunatly for a fact that 80mV of DC-offset will burn the voice coil. If you have ever looked at how small the coil make up is they just can't take the heat from DC offset.

Granted a LME49600 failure is much less likely than discrete output stage and probably much less risk, but with expensive headphone I think a muting relay is needed, even though it can hurt the noise-floor. Alternatively what RS did with the O2 seems to work without the noise penalty, but I stumbled on a failure mode with it that gives high offset on the output.

But folks building the wire, need to know that murphy's law still applies here and I think DC protection on the output should be SOP.
Old 8th March 2012, 02:42 PM   #102
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

nah screw that, another reason why i run balanced. it would have to be a bit of an odd failure mode to kill the headphones, i;m running hd600 and jh13, so a fair bit of coin there, but you wont get me to put a relay anywhere near the output of my headphone amps
Old 9th March 2012, 11:28 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

I have a question regarding SE-SE amp. What resistors should I omit when using pot to control the volume? R13 & R17?
Old 9th March 2012, 01:27 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Might as well add what size potentiometer to use as well?
Old 9th March 2012, 03:23 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

10kOhm
Old 12th March 2012, 05:15 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
I might want to combine 'the wire' headphone amp with a usb dac. I'd like to switch between the inputs of the 'wire' and the dac. I guess I can do that with a simple DPDT switch.

If I were to do this, I guess I can bypass the output of the dac and feed it directly into the 'wire'?
Old 12th March 2012, 05:24 PM   #107
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

sorry ive already detailed that twice in this short thread. short answer yes; for detail.. read the thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:33 PM   #108
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

I managed to get something done during the last couple of days.

Here's one of my BAL-BAL boards:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0534.jpg (355.8 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0538.jpg (456.2 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0543.JPG (900.5 KB, 474 views)
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:36 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

And here's one of the SE-SE rework boards, reworked of course:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0539.jpg (320.7 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0540.jpg (904.9 KB, 438 views)
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:51 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Two PSU modules were hooked up to another BAL-BAL with an M-Audio FastTrack Pro as a balanced source (mediocre choice, but mobile).

First pic also reveals the common AC/DC input wiring in the background and the 4-pin XLR connector in the foreground.

I even had the opportunity to have a couple of friends (one tube lover, one Stax owner) take a shot at listening to my balanced AKG K501, a custom Beyerdynamic DT770 and some other cans through both of THE WIREs either.

Second pic shows the K501 (disconnected) with the balanced wire mod, the accompanying balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor and the two WIREs. In the background (far right) there's an SE-SE that was tested via the single ended outputs of the audio interface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0511.jpg (330.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0512.jpg (442.2 KB, 229 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!