Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2013, 11:34 PM   #111
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Hi Fran,

I had hoped those kits would have kept you occupied in the workshop for a little longer, its not even December yet!

You promised pics. I wanna see pics.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got both projects up and running without any problems. Certainly the 2-in-1 approach is a novel one, and makes listening evaluations that much easier. Given the complementary nature of the two circuits its actually a nice option: to select the amp based on mood, headphone choice, and even the individual song.

"kmultiplier" is probably a capacitance multiplier, basically a simple voltage regulator but with with a voltage divider rather than a fixed reference. The X-reg falls into this class, but the "classic" version is just a filtered voltage divider with the output tied to a transistor gate/base: link
Old 20th November 2013, 06:27 AM   #112
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
RJM Audio Sapphire Desktop Headphone Amplifier

Tell me more about the kmultiplier - is that extra capacitance?

Excuse my ignorance!

Fran
It is a special cap multiplier that has very low output Zo due to the use of a CFP.

I placed it between the smoothing caps and the shunts... it took the J-Mo to a very high subjective level.

Keantoken's CFP cap multiplier

The K Multiplier
Old 20th November 2013, 06:51 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Ah, ok. I used a salas shunt, so not quite as easy to add the multiplier.... Pics later, but I'll tell ya now, it ain't pretty...

Fran
Old 20th November 2013, 08:24 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

I used two BiB and before that two kmult.... you might want to try it
Old 20th November 2013, 09:47 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

OK, I'll investigate!

A pic.... as I said, it aint pretty. Thats the shunt at the back, the J-Mo in front of that and then the 2 boards for the Sapphire to the right. Single pair of input RCA jacks at the back with a switch to swap the signal from one amp to the other. 2 x headphone jacks and 2 x gigawork pots complete the wiring.

Both amps are silent as the grave, with just a touch of hiss on the Sapphire at full volume (which you would never go near anyway). At all normal to very loud listening levels, no hum, hiss, etc. etc. If it wasn't for the LEDs in the shunt and the bit of vibration from the EI Tx you wouldn't know it was on.

The lid has yet to go on, and of course the front plate which I have yet to make (this is a recycled box from a cassette deck).

Fran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0700.jpg (679.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 20th November 2013, 11:11 PM   #116
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Anyone who thinks it looks ugly is advised to wait until Fran gets started on the cabinetry. It will blow your mind.

Fran, are the power supplies completely independent after the AC line? How are the three power transformers divided out between the four amplification channels?
Old 21st November 2013, 06:33 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

I like it a lot....., mine is p2p and uses two shunts with special vref and output cap arrangement
Old 21st November 2013, 09:50 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

The two matching transformers (leftmost ones) supply the sapphire, one for each board. The rectifiers are mounted right on the transformer terminals. The other one then supplies both channels of the J-Mo via a salas shunt - the PCB mounted vertically on the heatsink at the back.

Nothing shared after the back of the IEC..... I'm getting lazy maybe putting it all in the one box, but it helps keep the box count down. I'm still thinking about finishing the front of it - whether I go for a wood or acrylic, not sure yet. The other thing that I might do is split the supplies for the J-Mo and go dual mono on that. I reckon I can fit it all in, especially if I stacked 2 toroids.

Fran
Old 10th December 2013, 08:39 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Richard - have you ever tried to use some LEDs instead of R7/R2?

Fran
Old 11th December 2013, 12:18 AM   #120
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

No I haven't. Replacing the MOSFET source resistor R7 with a current source of some sort will reduce distortion, and a similar trick may work for the JFET - I haven't looking into that side of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!