Is Objective 2 a step up from cMoyBB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 07:49 PM   #1
rismit is offline rismit  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Is Objective 2 a step up from cMoyBB

I have been using JDS labs cMoyBB and it's great but I was wondering if the Objective 2 was a big step up. My senn HD558s are only 50 ohms so I dont know if there would be a noticable difference in quality / power...

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A cMoyBB is a pretty decent little amp, low output impedance and all. Its biggest weakness is the TLE2426 rail splitter, a device known to be unable to sink more than about 25 mA, or less than 2x 5 mA rms. That's why the amp allows using two of them, for doubled current capability. From their website it is unclear whether any of the assembled units ship like that.

Even at 5 mA, however, a HD558 would already be making quite a racket (about 250..300 mV gives approximately 100 dB for a sine and definitely >90 for music). So unless you would happen to be listening very loudly, I wouldn't expect any kind of major differences.

The O2 would be beneficial when trying to drive, say, K701s, or very noise-sensitive IEMs.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
rismit is offline rismit  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanky you so much for the reply. The cMoyBB works great but sometime I like to crank it a bit more and it seems to distort and run out of juice. May be the phones.
I might build an O2 for the experience then upgrade the cans later.

Thanks for the help and your time

Hide this!Advertise here!