DIY HQ Headphone question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About a year ago I made some noise-cancelling headphones by basically gutting some noise cancelling ear muffs (for shooting) and putting some low quality speakers from cheap walkman headphones in there. It worked really well and the price was around $20. It was worth it considering the quality was far superior to other, cheaper, noise cancelling headphones. But I wanted to make some now with higher quality speakers so the sound was better.
Does anyone know of some high quality headphone speakers that are cheaper (possibly because of a terrible body or something) that could still keep the whole thing under 100 bucks or so? (the ear muffs are about 15).

It sounds like those were only ambient-attenuating "closed" headphones. "Noise-cancelling" is usually meant to imply that they actively cancel ambient sounds, by generating out-of-phase copies of any ambient sounds and injecting them through the speakers, to cancel their sound waves as they enter your ears, making them disappear (ideally).

Yes exactly, I am sorry I wasn't too clear. I am looking to recreate these at a higher quality though because they seemed more effective than any noice-canceling or "closed" headphones I have tried prior or since.

As e'stat drivers are simply capacitors its not very hard to make a driver. However, e'stats take a tankload of power to make them sing.

Bose has some of the best active noise-cancelling circuits out there...but their headphones sound like total crap IMHO--not even up to my CHEAP Grados, let alone the $350 Grados.

Where they DO come in handy is flying. I use a Bose headset (basically QC15s with a mic) and the ANC does very well attenuating the LOUD noise of the piston engine/prop in my Cessna. They're great for radio comms and listening to VOR/AM beacons though!

DocRon

So I actually can't find the internal dimensions online anywhere, and I don't have my old set anymore unfortunately. I believe I have about 3 inches by two inches, so there is a pretty good amount of room. The limiting factor would be the depth, I don't think anymore than an inch of depth would work.

And thanks for the table sgrossklass, I am taking a look over it now!

So sgrossklass, I was looking at the list of IEMs and I can't help but to wonder if you sacrifice quality for the size of IEMs (sorry I do not know much about this stuff). For example, am I paying more for an IEM that delivers the same quality of sound as a larger speaker? Does the price go up because they need to put the same quality into a smaller speaker?

DocRon, would I be able to build an e'stat driver that could be powered simply by a standard portable media player?

my jh13 custom fit IEMs beat out all but the very top fullsize headphones to my ears. but then as you guessed, yes i paid for them at 1300usd. you can get similar performance models for around 600-700. if you need attenuating headphones, for starters i dont see electrostats being any god as they kinda need to breath, you dont get much better than the 26db passive attenuation offered by iems and the imaging/speed of high quality in ears is unparalleled. with a suitable source/amp they are similar in sound to a set of ATC monitors, but without the size of soundstage of course

Last edited:
Well I'm DIY guy but to build headphones..?
And to stay under 100$ and to build electrostatic headphones..?
And than probably you want to build nice tube amp to drive it..? and under 100$
Sorry, just my opinion, but I think it is impossible.
My advice would be to buy something ready made. If you can effort to double budget than Shure SRH940 offers a lot for it's price. Good noise isolation.....
I have HD650 which I like, but must admit that SRH940 are more than worth to buy. Shure prove again that they offer hard to beat price/performance ratio.
Regards

But it is fun and if you know how to do it results can be amazing...that's why we diy things.
But again I think at headphones there is too many mechanical and other problems. To develop such thing only to spare money? Well no thanks for me. Speakers? Ok, lets do it. Amplifier? Of course. Headphones? Hmmm.
Cheers, Taj

But it is fun and if you know how to do it results can be amazing...that's why we diy things.
exactly, there are many other reasons to diy, because its fun, because you can produce something that spends the money where YOU want it and leave areas that are not important to you out etc etc.; but if you value your time even a little bit, saving money is rarely a reason worth noting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.