Reference Headphones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 02:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Reference Headphones

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent, but relatively cheap set of headphones? Won't be used in the house, only to set up my car system for reference purposes and used with either an ipod or iphone.

I've had two recommendations so far:

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Denon AHD510 Over Ear Headphones - Black fit nicely in low budget requirments, but not reviewing too well

Or:
Alessandro MS-1i Reviews :: Headphone Reviews

Any other suggestions?
Old 19th January 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you trying to get your car to sound like your headphones?
Old 21st January 2012, 01:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you want to not blast your neighbors while tuning, then headphones do make sense. I like AKG K271 but they're bass shy. If you want something that thumps and has a good density to the low end then go for Sennheiser HD205 II.
Old 21st January 2012, 03:41 AM   #4
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

definitely NOT the allesandros, they are a far cry from neutral (they are ALL about the mids) and leak like crazy. given you end up with the opposite of the response of the monitor if its not accurate, you would end up with all boom and tizz.

sennhieser HD25-II
AudioTechnica AD900
Beyer Dynamic DT880 (250ohms)

but i'm going to recommend you get some in ear monitors, then you can use them for rocking out portable. something like Westone 2, westone um3x, i can name others but i mostly know the high end customs, not really in touch with whats good in middle ground universals these days, but go check out the portable area on head-fi
Old 21st January 2012, 05:28 AM   #5
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Reference earphones
Old 21st January 2012, 05:37 AM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah etys are ok, lacking bass response for my taste and not a lot of fun for normal usage; also quite microphonic. um3x has been described as er4 with fuller more natural mid->bass response. i would tend to agree; though they do have excellent treble response
Old 21st January 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanolson View Post
Are you trying to get your car to sound like your headphones?
Not "like" my headphones but need a good set to refer to for stage/tonality-more stage than anything.
Old 21st January 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe I should clarify "cheap"-30-100 would be my range, 100 would have to be significantly better than ones around the 50-70 range as that's really where I'd like to be spending!

Would need to be driven off my ipod/iphone without purchasing any headphone amps.

Hi end home systems I have little experience with, Dynaudio I know I like, hate overly bright speakers. Hi-end car systems I have more experience with, again Dynaudio, Pioneer's PRS speakers, BeWith spring to mind-again soft domes tweeters or wideband in the case of the BeWith.
Old 21st January 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The only headphones I know that have good soundstage are all out of your price range (the closest being K24x & K27x). I'm bowing out with hopes that someone else can help.
Old 23rd January 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks-will look into them

Hide this!Advertise here!