Reference Headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
definitely NOT the allesandros, they are a far cry from neutral (they are ALL about the mids) and leak like crazy. given you end up with the opposite of the response of the monitor if its not accurate, you would end up with all boom and tizz.

sennhieser HD25-II
AudioTechnica AD900
Beyer Dynamic DT880 (250ohms)

but i'm going to recommend you get some in ear monitors, then you can use them for rocking out portable. something like Westone 2, westone um3x, i can name others but i mostly know the high end customs, not really in touch with whats good in middle ground universals these days, but go check out the portable area on head-fi

yeah etys are ok, lacking bass response for my taste and not a lot of fun for normal usage; also quite microphonic. um3x has been described as er4 with fuller more natural mid->bass response. i would tend to agree; though they do have excellent treble response

Maybe I should clarify "cheap"-£30-£100 would be my range, £100 would have to be significantly better than ones around the £50-£70 range as that's really where I'd like to be spending!

Would need to be driven off my ipod/iphone without purchasing any headphone amps.

Hi end home systems I have little experience with, Dynaudio I know I like, hate overly bright speakers. Hi-end car systems I have more experience with, again Dynaudio, Pioneer's PRS speakers, BeWith spring to mind-again soft domes tweeters or wideband in the case of the BeWith.

This ones have flat response even so flat that some people don't like the sound and they are very accurate. You will hear almost everything on recordings and at some point this can be of disadvantage for regular use.
If you shop in this price range for headphones with flat response you can not find better ones.

If you like to go higher and pay a bit more there is another Sony model MDR-7509HD Professional series as well.

While I was owning Stax, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Senheiser and some others I can easy claim this what I said for Sony's. If you want to judge something they are really good otherwise go for Grado's.

In my opinion here is the list for best studio monitors:

1. Sony MDR-7509HD
2. AKG 271MKII
3. Beyerdynamic DT-150
3. Sony MDR-7506
4. Beyerdynamic DT-250

The Beyerdynamic's DT-880Pro I didn't try but I heard many good things of them... Also for AKG-701.

I almost forget Senheiser's HD250 I was owning... Actually they should be on my list too... Ranking number 2 with AKG

:cheers:

Last edited:
Fair Enough...
I have both a MDR7505 and MD-V600. Both sound decent, but myself prefer the 7505s as with increased pressure they block out external noise a lot better.
My wife on the other hand has been using the V600 for a while ( about 3 years now ) and she wont part with them.

But... if your good at seeking out deals you can find them around $400 for the HD 650's ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.