My Objective 2 Will Not Turn On - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 12:13 PM   #11
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Resistance readings look good, now on to the voltage readings like agdr mentioned. Be sure to only have the op-amps in as described in the testing section. There is only one or two in IIRC. You're doing great so far, we'll get this figured out.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I didn't have any OPAmps in when I tested the Voltage. I thought he said take them all out.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Alright good news guys. I forgot to plug in the power plug while doing this. I figured it needed to be in but I didn't know. Anyways, I plugged it in and tested it again. I didn't notice because it's light out, but the LED actually turns on now. That makes me think that the OPAmps needed to be all the way in the sockets to actually make this thing work. The thing that worries me though is that I still did not get any readings at all on the battery sockets. So I should order those 2 OPAmps again right or should I just get all new OPAmps?
Old 19th January 2012, 03:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Alright guys good and bad news coming your way. I installed all the OPAmps now and the light still turns on so that gives me reasoning that everything is fixed. I went ahead and hooked it up to a source and my headphones but I could not get any sound at all. Someone has to know what this is, it's bugging me now. That the LED works but I don't get any sound. Please help!
Old 19th January 2012, 03:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Just curious, does this AMP NEED to have batteries installed just to function properly? That is the only thing I can think of figuring it won't turn on with just the power adapter. If anyone can help this would be great!
Old 19th January 2012, 04:02 PM   #16
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep, plug in your power adaptor and take those 2 voltage readings on the battery terminals (with the batteries out and the O2 power switch off). You should get +12V and -12V. You do not need batteries installed for the amp to work, it runs on AC only too. The broken legs on the op amps are probably one part of why it is not working now, if you are getting +/-12V on the power supply.

As cheap as these NJM op amps are, much less then shipping costs anyway, in your case I would order a couple more of each if it were me, just in case you have some more insertion problems or one of them got static zapped.

Last edited by agdr; 19th January 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well it works perfect now with the batteries installed. But without the batteries I get no sound. This guy told me that it is a resistor problem or something. I still get no readings at all when I test the MM with the battery plugs. This is the guy's post that made me try the batteries.

raspunsen Click the image to open in full size.
diyAudio Member

Well, i'm facing a little problem with my O2, and i hope you guys can help me sort it out.
The thing is, when i finished assembling my O2 i only had batteries to test it out. Everything seems fine, and the amp seems to work flawlessly.
Now i got myself an universal AC/AC adapter, with adjustable voltage and 2000mA max.
I set it to 16 volts, removed the cheap non rechargeable batteries and tryed to power the amp. The LED comes on, but it does not output any sound. Still works fine with batteries only.
Tried 18 volt, 20 volt and even 24 volt and the result is the same.
Am i just missing something here? Is it normal for it to work ok with batteries but not with wall adapter?
Thanks in advance.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

This is the PM I got from him to see if he could figure anything else out.

Hi,
It's probably the same problem i have, with a dead regulator. Try doing the same tests they advised me to do, and you'll find it out.
Regards.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I just tried doing the AC adapter test. I put the negetive pin on the multimeter to the outer casing on the gain switch push button. I then put the positive pin on the battery terminal on the outer most socket and the innermost socket and I couldn't get any readings at all for either. I just wanted to use this without batteries but that right there tells me something doesn't it? I think this is the problem I have been looking for unless that 3.3 Ohm is way off on the 3.9 Ohm that I read from it. I can order new OPAmps but I need help with this. I did touch the pins on the anti static pieces as well and that was cautioned otherwise, but I made sure I touched my hands to metal casings all around like I do with my power supply on the computers I am assembling and this shouldn't be that much different, I didn't have any static in my hands. Please help!
Old 19th January 2012, 06:40 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The guy said it's a bad regulator. Which tests with my MM can I use to test this?

Hide this!Advertise here!