Does anyone make their own headphones? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2012, 04:30 AM   #1
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Does anyone make their own headphones?

It sounds difficult to do well but could be fun. Does anyone do this?

If so what would you use and where might I find some design information?

I had a pair of (pretty expensive) skullcandys that broke due to terrible build quality and I was thinking about ripping the drivers out of them and making some diy ones, just a low budget side project
Old 8th January 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

wow, you bought skullcandies? arent they just emo bose?

I wouldnt waste my time with those drivers. people do indeed make their iwn headphones, but unless its totally about the journey rather than the result, i would start with something that could be more readily turned into something useful and that need not cost you much to find the donor headphones. there are threads in this forum about DIY electrostatic headphones and probably if you search you might find some dynamics, but yeah i would just throw the skullcandies in the trash

Last edited by qusp; 8th January 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 8th January 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Haha yeah I bought skullcandies. After that I learned the error of my ways. Now I've got some old Bose ones which are much better but their falling apart
Old 8th January 2012, 10:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
After that I learned the error of my ways. Now I've got some old Bose ones which are much better but their falling apart
Apparently not.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:22 AM   #5
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

We used to hot glue little speakers in our motorcycle helmets, they sounded great.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
Some very cool DIY electrostatic headphones
Old 8th January 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

yeah, I mentioned that, but didnt bother linking, as i took it for being a little more than the OP bargained for when posing the question. i doubt he had in mind fabricating stators to run several hundred volts next to his ears and building the required amp to run them. not usually the next step after skullcandy.

hehe bose better, bose = more expensive, but better? i think not, as hes found out
Old 8th January 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have actually had good experience with bose headphones. I'm sure there are better ones but for the price range compared to other headphones (I.e. beats) and so far I haven't heard better (given a small sample size).

I looked at some electrostatic headphone projects and I was actually pretty interesting. It looks tricky to do well on a first attempt without a cnc but I'm up for a challenge. I couldn't find any approx cost listings on the pages I read. Does anyone know like a baseline cost I should expect for some DIY electrostatic headphones?
Old 8th January 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

my guess is given those comments and the previous purchases you mention, that you are only comparing to pretty average quality but expensive headphones. there are much better than bose for a considerably lower price; just like all their gear you pay for the name and the 'style' not the substance.

your question about the electrostats is far too general to give an answer to and without your own, or easy access to a cnc, the cost will be much higher. then you will also have to buy, or build an electrostatic amp and this is not something i would recommend for anything below a fairly advanced diyer
Old 8th January 2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Boes IE2 are fantastic better than anything I've listened to at that price bracket.

Hide this!Advertise here!