diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Headphone Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/)
-   -   Does anyone make their own headphones? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/204002-does-anyone-make-their-own-headphones.html)

kctess5 8th January 2012 04:30 AM

Does anyone make their own headphones?

It sounds difficult to do well but could be fun. Does anyone do this?

If so what would you use and where might I find some design information?

I had a pair of (pretty expensive) skullcandys that broke due to terrible build quality and I was thinking about ripping the drivers out of them and making some diy ones, just a low budget side project

qusp 8th January 2012 04:48 AM

wow, you bought skullcandies? arent they just emo bose?

I wouldnt waste my time with those drivers. people do indeed make their iwn headphones, but unless its totally about the journey rather than the result, i would start with something that could be more readily turned into something useful and that need not cost you much to find the donor headphones. there are threads in this forum about DIY electrostatic headphones and probably if you search you might find some dynamics, but yeah i would just throw the skullcandies in the trash

kctess5 8th January 2012 05:46 AM

Haha yeah I bought skullcandies. After that I learned the error of my ways. Now I've got some old Bose ones which are much better but their falling apart :(

xnor 8th January 2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kctess5 (Post 2851603)
After that I learned the error of my ways. Now I've got some old Bose ones which are much better but their falling apart :(

Apparently not. :p

ODougbo 8th January 2012 11:22 AM

We used to hot glue little speakers in our motorcycle helmets, they sounded great.

lowpoke 8th January 2012 11:55 AM

Some very cool DIY electrostatic headphones

qusp 8th January 2012 11:59 AM

yeah, I mentioned that, but didnt bother linking, as i took it for being a little more than the OP bargained for when posing the question. i doubt he had in mind fabricating stators to run several hundred volts next to his ears and building the required amp to run them. not usually the next step after skullcandy.

hehe bose better, bose = more expensive, but better? i think not, as hes found out

kctess5 8th January 2012 04:28 PM

I have actually had good experience with bose headphones. I'm sure there are better ones but for the price range compared to other headphones (I.e. beats) and so far I haven't heard better (given a small sample size).

I looked at some electrostatic headphone projects and I was actually pretty interesting. It looks tricky to do well on a first attempt without a cnc but I'm up for a challenge. I couldn't find any approx cost listings on the pages I read. Does anyone know like a baseline cost I should expect for some DIY electrostatic headphones?

qusp 8th January 2012 04:38 PM

my guess is given those comments and the previous purchases you mention, that you are only comparing to pretty average quality but expensive headphones. there are much better than bose for a considerably lower price; just like all their gear you pay for the name and the 'style' not the substance.

your question about the electrostats is far too general to give an answer to and without your own, or easy access to a cnc, the cost will be much higher. then you will also have to buy, or build an electrostatic amp and this is not something i would recommend for anything below a fairly advanced diyer

Boscoe 8th January 2012 04:38 PM

The Boes IE2 are fantastic better than anything I've listened to at that price bracket.