Does anyone make their own headphones? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2012, 11:32 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

KCTESS5. Your red statement is a valuable suggestion worthy of follow up.

I'd be tempted to get a pair of over the ear hearing protection sort of headphone type things and mount a 3" tang band driver in it making sure to get a good seal.

The enhanced bass is due to using a transconductance amplifier to drive them rather than a voltage source amplifier". Most probably you've read the pertinent articles by Mr. Pass at www.firstwatt.com.

Best regards
Old 25th June 2012, 12:30 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Antoinel,
Those headphones are absolutely something else. Probably the only headphones I have ever seen for which you might reasonably include room gain in the assessment of bass response, and possibly baffle correction circuitry!

Sorry - I had to say something - they are crackers! Well done.

I am pretty sure you could get away with smaller drivers with the right enclosures and proximity to your ears. It does all get very complex mechanically though. I find the idea intriguing but have never really liked lugging cans on my head.
Old 25th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

GOOGLYONE: Thank you for your insights, comments and encouragement. These headphones are heavyweights, and do excercise my neck. Please note that this project is simple, highly flexible, with the least pain of assembly; but is coupled with maximum reward. I remember a song from the early nineteen seventees by the Charly Rich [RIP aka the Silver Fox] which said "no one knows what goes on behind closed doors". In my case, I am using the helmet headphones to listen to music for hours instead of renowned STAX electrostatics, and GRADO. Why?; they are damn great sounding. How many other contraptions are in the hands of diyaudiophiles which will never see the light of this forum? Personally, these headphones are the tip of a diyaudio iceberg!

Best regards
Old 25th June 2012, 05:26 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Handsome me wearing a silly headgear I call helmet headphones in my diyAudio dungeon-music room. Note the symmetry and balance; no whiplash please. As the saying goes "if the shoe fits, wear it!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2451.jpg (301.1 KB, 303 views)
Old 25th June 2012, 06:34 PM   #25
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Awsome
Old 27th June 2012, 03:57 PM   #26
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think I just found my new avatar for headfi, do you mind Antionel? I can blur your face to protect the innocent if you like?

they look like theyde sound awesome, but I cant imagine the experience being particularly transparent. part of getting the best performance with headphones and their sound stage is getting them to disappear, thats unlikely to ever happen with them, yopu would have to sit immobilized wouldnt you? you should build a powerful portable amp and wear them down the shops one day to get some milk
Old 27th June 2012, 04:20 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

QUSP: Ha ha ha ha.. Use as you please; no licence required. You wrote:

yopu would have to sit immobilized [got some headroom]wouldnt you? you should build a powerful portable amp [a la Pass] and wear them [with a portable lead-acid battery pack] down the shops one day to get some milk Click the image to open in full size.

Doc; you are prescribing hard labour which is the essence of longevity!
Old 27th June 2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a place to start for drivers or headphone mods:

DIY HiFi Orthodynamic Portable Headphones (aka Ribbon Driver Headphones)

I'm sure with some woodworking skill you could make nice ear pieces. For the headband, ear pads, and putting it all together, you're on your own, a good pair of old school donor headphones might be a good starting point.
Old 27th June 2012, 06:07 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Here's a place to start for drivers or headphone mods:

DIY HiFi Orthodynamic Portable Headphones (aka Ribbon Driver Headphones)

I'm sure with some woodworking skill you could make nice ear pieces. For the headband, ear pads, and putting it all together, you're on your own, a good pair of old school donor headphones might be a good starting point.
Thank you for your insights and recommendations.
Old 17th July 2012, 05:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

A transconductance or current source amp [TCA] is ideal to drive a piezo tweeter which is a capacitor. The schematic of a TCA generally shows the power output stage connected as "opposed drains" ; for example for MOSFET and SIT device types. A low amplifier damping factor is a consequence of this configuration. A TCA can drive a dead short without damage; unlike its counterpart voltage source amp [VCA] . I build TCA amps using bjt devices, I assess their performance via listenning, and use them to listen to music. The helmet headphones above were successfully used towards this endeavor. A more versatile setup is attached below. Fortunately it is not "Exotic"; but sounds damn good when driven by a TCA. And, one does not need to drive a single screw or nail! Setting it up [and putting it away] is in minutes. A 12 inch subwoofer is made to stand erect at ~90 degrees using a spent Nescafe container [in my case] for support . Its massive magnet rests comfortably on it. A piezo tweeter is electrically connected in parallel and in phase with the subwoofer. There is no X-over. The tweeter also sits on the floor [see close-up]. It beams its output at the cone so that its output bounces back to one's ear. The separation between the erect subwoors is ~18 inches. My head rests on the book [Chemistry] which is ~4 inches high off the floor. This roughly aligns my ears with the center of the sub's dustcaps.

The dual voice coil [8 Ohms each; connected in parallel] subwoofer is sold by MCM Electronics part number 55-1465. Has a 93 dB SPL and a 24 Hz-3.5 KHz frequency range. The piezo tweeter is a Pyle Pro model PSN1167 also sold by MCM. It has a 93 dB SPL and a 3.5 KHz-20 KHz. range.

If one uses a voltage source amp [It is OK ] instead of a TCA, a 30 Ohm resistor must be put in series with the piezo tweeter to prevent the VCA from singing spontaneously. The cones facing each other in this [VCA] application will behave as microphones!. The VCA will thus enforce correction by cancellation. It will sound different from the setup using a TCA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2481.jpg (447.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2482.jpg (547.7 KB, 39 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!