Headphone Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is sort of an obvious question but ;

Does anyone have recommendations for bulk cable to make a new headphone cable out of. I have some stuff from radio shack that's labeled "microphone cable". That I've been using for things. But i'd like to find some nice cable to make a short cord for my new AKG's ..

ANy thoughts ??

Tim

Oh. My reasons for the selections I presented are as follows:
-Twisted Pair cables are great for interferance rejection
-Two leads for ground decreases resistance and maintains high channel seperation
-Unconnected shield because it's nearly useless at short lengths with twisted pairs, and in an unbalanced setup it adds a lot of capacitance to the ground... which is not good for everything... including your audio source.

How on earth is the shield to be removed? I thought they were woven like a chinese finger trap. That's why I just recommended leaving it and not connecting it. It's a short run. I wouldn't expect problems until beyond 2m. Even then, I might expect something measurable but not audible in a blind test.

Not that I think a good headphone amplifier needs a shielded cable. The headphones themselves sure don't! But in any case a shield does not need to be connected at both ends if it's only job is a shield.

yeah it kinda does and if not it would be useful if it actually shielded something more than itself ie the voice coil and it should at the least have its own connection to chassis ground, which phono plugs do not have. As a result it simply shunts the noise along the cable length, leaving out the headphones; to signal ground.....

in answer to those asking about unshielded cable, any reasonable quality hookup wire will do, how hard is it to twist a couple of pairs 6' long? its actually not that hard to remove the shield from ready made cables either, just a pair of tin snips will do nicely; also UTP isnt hard to find

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.