ECC88 OTL heaphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Looking for a tube headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD600 I saw this OTL with ECC88, it seem simple design & easy to make, advice & ideas will welcome.

PSU

nt_lo.gif

OTL headphone amp

sch_lo.gif

PCB

place_lo.gif

Picture

otl.jpg

Also exist other version without integrated PSU.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

this schematic is loosely based on the better known Morgan Jones ECC88 OTL headphone amp which is an improved version of the famous Earmax amp.
Check out the info on
HeadWize - Project: The Morgan Jones Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier by Chu Moy since the original Headwize site is down.
I have built the Morgan Jones myself with LED bias for the first stage and a better psu (but now I would definitely use the Salas shunt for B+). When you are interested in a schematic I can mail it to you... it is easily built P2P on perf board. It is a nice sounding amplifier although there are better ones (non-OTL comes to mind).
When you are interested I can give the details for a very good sounding amp based on the C3G wired as triode, Salas shunt for HV and output transformers...;)

Cheers

See schematic attached... it doesn't get much simpler than that.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/110817/fg3o8znu.jpg

You have the choice of output transformers... I am using headphone opt's from Reinhoefer in Germany that sound very good at about 55€ a piece. But you can try anything that has about 7.5k:300 for your Sennheiser phones ( I am using Sennheiser's). Lundahl and Sowther have very good OPT's as well. Or have them custom wound at AE Europe in the Netherlands.

My amp is still on the breadboard
--> http://s3.directupload.net/images/user/101118/rap477if.jpg
but will eventually look like this -->
http://s1.directupload.net/images/user/110114/wzrdgt9j.jpg

Just my two cents in headphone amplifiers...but I have tried quite a few schematics and am currently building the eighth one ;)

Sorry my ignorance, wich kind of sockets uses C3g?

It uses loctal sockets... also occasionally offered on Ebay (or the better tube vendors).

If it ends up looking like that I want to see it when it's finished.
I will not disappoint you... the chassis is currently in the works at my carpenter;)
Regulators and the OPT's will be hidden underneath.

Looking for a tube headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD600 I saw this OTL with ECC88, it seem simple design & easy to make, advice & ideas will welcome..

A lot depends on your headphones. Yours are 300 ohm impedance and quoted as 97dB/mW. To ensure you have enough headroom for transients you need to be able to drive them 10dB harder than this i.e 10mW. For 10mW into 300 ohms you need an rms current of just over 18mA or a peak swing of 26mA. This means the standing current in the ECC88s needs to be at least 26mA and that is way too high for that type of tube.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks. I was just looking at it. I guess its SE-gapped for 18 mA?. It can do 18:1 also for even lower Z out.

How would C3G do in pentode mode in this application? Jacmusic has plenty of info on C3G/N C3g-C3m-info and states "They show their extreme low distortion only as pentodes. They can be used triode connected, but then gain comes down a lot, and the distortion increases to a level just below triodes like 6SN7."

Staffan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.