Grado SR125 recable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recabled my Grados. Used 24 gauge silver coated OFC Copper in Teflon and Switchcraft 1/8in plug. I used a litz braid to the Y, covered the lower half in paracord, and just twisted from the Y to the cups then covered in heat shrink. I honestly don't hear any difference between this and the stock cables but I accomplished what I wanted. The stock cables twisted and bent with a mind of their own. The new ones stay where you bend them. I pretty much never used the 1/4 plug so it made sense to switch to an 1/8.

I also sanded off all the lettering on the cups and replaced the stock grill with a rubber mesh.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 228
A little heat from a heat gun on low, a hair dryer would be more than sufficient, and some prying with a small flat screwdriver. It scuffed them up a bit, but it is hidden by the pads. Also I'm thinking about making new cups out of mahogany so I wasn't too worried about scuffing them.

Last edited:
I assume these don't have screws holding them together? I have some old Technics Orthodynamics with no screw holes, and I am worried they are under the ear pads, which will be garbage if I remove them. How can you tell if they are just glued together? Did you take any photos?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.