Help with first DIY Amp Objective 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2011, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with first DIY Amp Objective 2

I was reading about this amp and decided my soldering skills and paying attention to details are on par with attempting something like this. I also saved over half of having it professionally built and I always wanted to try something like this out since I got a soldering iron and stuff. I bought clippers, multimeter, etc and am waiting on the parts. I got the custom board, enclosures, and parts ready in the mail coming soon. I had a few quick questions though about testing it and how to apply the solder. With the custom board, it has a picture of how the bottom leads attach to eachother. Do I just use jumper pins to do that on the custom board, etc? Also how do I test it so I don't ruin my headphones the first time I plug them in. I think I can tell where each part goes in the pictures I am showing in this post but I just didn't know how to test it all out so I don't ruin my headphones. I know both + and - need to be equal. Can I use the AC power adapter that I am going to get to plug in and test it or can I use a regular 9V battery that isn't rechargeable. I know they said to only use rechargeables. I don't plan on using this with batteries at all because it's for my desktop. I chose for the portable version though because I like the case and don't need the extra 2 jacks for red/white audio. Are there any other things I need to know before doing this? I've been reading the site where the tin can mini3 was built to learn how to solder the parts on the board and a site from NwsAVguy for different things to look out for like MOSFET,etc. But like I said this is my first project, but I think I can do it. I still don't understand the ground/positive leads chart and all of that, I am going to just try my hand at soldering the points on the board. Please help all you can!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jY2Y4&hl=en_US

o2%2520final%2520pcb%2520large%255B5%255D.jpg (image)
Old 13th December 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

there is already multiple threads on this amp that will answer all of your questions, any particular reason you felt you had to start yet another one? you will be much more likely to get help there and if you use the search function, you probably wont even need to ask, because they are all basic questions that will be covered in the manual on his site.
Old 13th December 2011, 07:27 AM   #3
cce121 is offline cce121  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
I was reading about this amp and decided my soldering skills and paying attention to details are on par with attempting something like this. I also saved over half of having it professionally built and I always wanted to try something like this out since I got a soldering iron and stuff. I bought clippers, multimeter, etc and am waiting on the parts. I got the custom board, enclosures, and parts ready in the mail coming soon. I had a few quick questions though about testing it and how to apply the solder. With the custom board, it has a picture of how the bottom leads attach to eachother. Do I just use jumper pins to do that on the custom board, etc? Also how do I test it so I don't ruin my headphones the first time I plug them in. I think I can tell where each part goes in the pictures I am showing in this post but I just didn't know how to test it all out so I don't ruin my headphones. I know both + and - need to be equal. Can I use the AC power adapter that I am going to get to plug in and test it or can I use a regular 9V battery that isn't rechargeable. I know they said to only use rechargeables. I don't plan on using this with batteries at all because it's for my desktop. I chose for the portable version though because I like the case and don't need the extra 2 jacks for red/white audio. Are there any other things I need to know before doing this? I've been reading the site where the tin can mini3 was built to learn how to solder the parts on the board and a site from NwsAVguy for different things to look out for like MOSFET,etc. But like I said this is my first project, but I think I can do it. I still don't understand the ground/positive leads chart and all of that, I am going to just try my hand at soldering the points on the board. Please help all you can!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jY2Y4&hl=en_US

o2%2520final%2520pcb%2520large%255B5%255D.jpg (image)

I am also planning 2 build 1 lately. I still have no idea where 2 get all the parts though...cause i am in singapore. I guess its more effective for me 2 ask in local forum..lol..
good luck with urs...
Old 13th December 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

:facepalm:

-joe
Old 13th December 2011, 02:20 PM   #5
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

my facepalm is for using "2" instead of "to"

while it is pretty easy to build the o2.. sounds like you guys have little experience in actually building .. i would suggest making something simpler first..

-joe
Old 13th December 2011, 04:53 PM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hehe yeah 2 was left over from when there was only a limited number of characters you could use in a message, there is absolutely no reason to use it in normal communication, or even text messages now....

also, walls of text tend not to get read
Old 13th December 2011, 05:17 PM   #7
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess that I've spent enough time on Twitter that I speak a small amount of "teenager", as a second language. Like: "r u mad, bro?"
Old 15th December 2011, 02:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

just another quick question, does the Objective 2 recharge the batteries when hooked up with the charger, or do i need a seperate charger for the 2 9v?
Old 15th December 2011, 02:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You don't need a separate charger. Have you read NwAvGuy's exhaustive O2 docs?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I did read a lot of it and thought I heard that but I just wanted to be sure it would recharge them with the amp plugged in.

Hide this!Advertise here!