Help with first DIY-AMP - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2011, 02:26 PM   #11
GLooP is online now GLooP  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

@Cafofo - there is more sophisticated version of Szekeres, try any opamp-buffered version, you may actually like it. Another thing to consider is the SDS Labs amplifier. I recommend you starting with simpler projects as you may need some experience tweaking the amps, the power supply, etc. It always helps and it might be fun.

@tinitus - thanks, but I'm not an expect, far from it. Just like to make simple audio stuff just for fun.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well.. i think your´re right ... ill try those Szekeres . Ill read everything carefully and buy the components this week to play with that. Any problem to make the amp at an Protoboard ? Just for first tests ... if everything gone ok i make a pcb version.
When i do that ill show my results =)
Old 9th December 2011, 07:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafofo View Post
Well.. i think your´re right ... ill try those Szekeres . Ill read everything carefully and buy the components this week to play with that. Any problem to make the amp at an Protoboard ? Just for first tests ... if everything gone ok i make a pcb version.
When i do that ill show my results =)
I am not sure protoboard is a good idea for Power Mofsets. Don't forget you will need some large heatsinks for the mofsets. If you wish to start with a protoboard, search for Apheared 47 and Cheapskate amps. Don't forget to put heatsinks on power mosfets and power transistors in TO-220 packages. Apheared is OpAmp based only, will not require heatsinking.

Also - once you build your amp, you will have an urge to put headphones and try it. DON'T!!! Check with your miltimeter if everything is fine - voltages, currents, etc. Then leave it for a while swiched on to warm up and test how hot the chips and heatsinks get. Beware of electrostatics that may destroy transistors!!! DON'T put your fingers where power runs or near transisitors. Before plugging phones, check if there is any DC offset. Don't plug anything with phones on your ears! Have the volume control always turned down and slowly turn it up.

Good luck!!!
Old 10th December 2011, 07:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ahaha... i´ve already had some problems with Mofsets for not using heatsinks ... i think/hope now i can handle with then.

I have some doubt about Potenciometer and Conectors. Wich potenciometer can i use? And conector ( I want an P2 or P10 entrace, and P2 / P10 out ) .

I saw in this picture ( http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/si...Szekeres-4.jpg ) and i dont know exacly where o find this components( 6 pins potenciometer ? P2 conector have 3 pins i think ... )
Old 10th December 2011, 08:16 PM   #15
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafofo View Post
I have some doubt about Potenciometer and Conectors. Wich potenciometer can i use?
instead of a stereo pot, you could use two mono pots
cheap carbon/grahpite will do fine
some even think they sound better
Old 10th December 2011, 09:34 PM   #16
kevinh is offline kevinh  United States
diyAudio Member

If you would like a kit and are open to tubes, the Bottlehead kits are excellent:

Headphone Amplifiers
Old 11th December 2011, 06:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

You need logarithmic stereo pot. Best for the money - Panasonic EVJ series. Read the datasheet to distinguish between dented (balance) and non-dented (volume) versions. You need non-dented (non-centered). You can use some cheaper ones but most of them have 20% tolerance so you may have variations on sound loundness between left and right. Still, it's OK for use as starter as you can change that at any time.
Old 12th December 2011, 01:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

ght, i think i know where to get those pots, i remembered that i replaced one of theses in my Audigy Soundcard.
About the Kits im in brazil so it'll expensive ,will take time to arrive...not nice idea. Better try to find here something.

And About the Conectors? P2/P10 conector, what should i use? ... make the same thought about my audigy soundboard, im trying to find a P10 5pin conector but it's being dificult, need to be this models? like the picture -> ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sorry for stupid questions, but i dont want stupid mistakes ! hehe
Old 12th December 2011, 07:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Another one , i was trying to simulate the amp at proteus but i dont know what's wrong, i've never tryed to simulate an audio stuff, can someone help me?

Here the project -> MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Old 13th December 2011, 06:20 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Just start with the CMoy

Hide this!Advertise here!