Help with first DIY-AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Im loocking for a DIY-Amp for my phones.I have a sennheiser HD515 and a Triple Fi 10. I know i dont need a amp at the moment, but ill really need whem i buy my HD600(or another one..)

But, why i want build that?

Actualy, i want to pratice eletronic and build my own amp beside to buy one. And to " feel " how the sound looks like with an amp.Any difference in tone ... I do not know exactly.I'm new in this " audio world " , but i want to see those kind of diference that i can read in some amp reviews around the web.

I was loocking on the web, have lots of amps (like O2, CKIII....) but those ones are selled as kits or things like that. Im outside from north america ( im brazil )... So i want to make my own pcb board, using pcb layout tonner transference, and buy everything for myself.

Well .. I hope someone can give me a hand =)

Thank you.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
dont know anything about this one

Attachments

• szeke2.gif
    szeke2.gif
    6 KB · Views: 423
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
once more
google szekeres head amp, and click on pictures
there are lots of 'sophisticated' variatons

but GLooP said it
start small and simple
you need very good power supply
takes lots of experience and practice

modular design with seperate power supply might make it easier to build variations

but GLooP is your expert, I'm not

@Cafofo - there is more sophisticated version of Szekeres, try any opamp-buffered version, you may actually like it. Another thing to consider is the SDS Labs amplifier. I recommend you starting with simpler projects as you may need some experience tweaking the amps, the power supply, etc. It always helps and it might be fun.

@tinitus - thanks, but I'm not an expect, far from it. Just like to make simple audio stuff just for fun. :)

Well.. i think your´re right ... ill try those Szekeres . Ill read everything carefully and buy the components this week to play with that. Any problem to make the amp at an Protoboard ? Just for first tests ... if everything gone ok i make a pcb version.
When i do that ill show my results =)

Well.. i think your´re right ... ill try those Szekeres . Ill read everything carefully and buy the components this week to play with that. Any problem to make the amp at an Protoboard ? Just for first tests ... if everything gone ok i make a pcb version.
When i do that ill show my results =)

I am not sure protoboard is a good idea for Power Mofsets. Don't forget you will need some large heatsinks for the mofsets. If you wish to start with a protoboard, search for Apheared 47 and Cheapskate amps. Don't forget to put heatsinks on power mosfets and power transistors in TO-220 packages. Apheared is OpAmp based only, will not require heatsinking.

Also - once you build your amp, you will have an urge to put headphones and try it. DON'T!!! Check with your miltimeter if everything is fine - voltages, currents, etc. Then leave it for a while swiched on to warm up and test how hot the chips and heatsinks get. Beware of electrostatics that may destroy transistors!!! DON'T put your fingers where power runs or near transisitors. Before plugging phones, check if there is any DC offset. Don't plug anything with phones on your ears! Have the volume control always turned down and slowly turn it up.

Good luck!!!

Ahaha... i´ve already had some problems with Mofsets for not using heatsinks ... i think/hope now i can handle with then.

I have some doubt about Potenciometer and Conectors. Wich potenciometer can i use? And conector ( I want an P2 or P10 entrace, and P2 / P10 out ) .

I saw in this picture ( http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/sijosae/Gallery/Szekeres/Szekeres-4.jpg ) and i dont know exacly where o find this components( 6 pins potenciometer ? P2 conector have 3 pins i think ... )

You need logarithmic stereo pot. Best for the money - Panasonic EVJ series. Read the datasheet to distinguish between dented (balance) and non-dented (volume) versions. You need non-dented (non-centered). You can use some cheaper ones but most of them have 20% tolerance so you may have variations on sound loundness between left and right. Still, it's OK for use as starter as you can change that at any time.

ght, i think i know where to get those pots, i remembered that i replaced one of theses in my Audigy Soundcard.
About the Kits im in brazil so it'll expensive ,will take time to arrive...not nice idea. Better try to find here something.

And About the Conectors? P2/P10 conector, what should i use? ... make the same thought about my audigy soundboard, im trying to find a P10 5pin conector but it's being dificult, need to be this models? like the picture -> ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sorry for stupid questions, but i dont want stupid mistakes ! hehe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.