high quality earbud modification into a headset?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use a mobile phone (with an excellent mp3 player) as my only portable source. But i also use it as a mobile phone. I need a headset - but headsets sound bad.

I dislike canalphones, i can't use them as a pedestrian. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX35s that i do use sometimes but generally i'll have to stick to the traditional earbud design like my sennheiser mx880s have. Modding is not beyond me - i think i've come up with a plan to do it:

cut off original plug, solder in a 4 pole 3.5mm headset jack, run a second coax along the main earphone cable, up to a standard headset clip microphone (came with the phone) which the earphone cables run through. sleeve the cable with fabric between plug and clip mic.

looking at cheapish gold plated straight plugs, or a cheapish not gold right angle plug.

How much difference, if any, would be made to either the sonys or the sennheisers by changing the plug? i know electronics but i'm relatively new to high grade audio.
ta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.