What causes "tinny" headphone sound? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 03:41 PM   #1
akme is offline akme  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question What causes "tinny" headphone sound?

Hello all!

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend. He has a pair of Bowers and Wilkins C5 in ear headphones, and he's saying they've started to sound "tinny".

This wasn't an issue before, so it seems to me like something must've happened, maybe a loose connection somewhere?

Can a loose connection cause this? If so, is it likely to be at the jack plug, or the actual earpiece, or could it be either? If it can be fixed by changing the jack plug then that's cool, but if it's the actual earpiece then that'd likely be too tricky to fix (for me or him). And of course there's the possibility that it's something else entirely...
Old 28th October 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A bad ground connection at the jack would cause most of the vocals and bass to get lost (as those are usually centre-panned), as well as give very strange sound in general. I'd guess that's the problem here. A quick check with a multimeter should show whether it really is.

I guess the problem appears with multiple different sources? Bad solder joints on 3.5 mm headphone jacks aren't terribly rare either.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:48 PM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

tinny headphones? hehe nah i concur with the above, although mostly a borderline loose connection will also cause a sort of phasing sound
Old 29th October 2011, 12:33 AM   #4
akme is offline akme  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's great guys, what I had suspected!

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!