What causes "tinny" headphone sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend. He has a pair of Bowers and Wilkins C5 in ear headphones, and he's saying they've started to sound "tinny".

This wasn't an issue before, so it seems to me like something must've happened, maybe a loose connection somewhere?

Can a loose connection cause this? If so, is it likely to be at the jack plug, or the actual earpiece, or could it be either? If it can be fixed by changing the jack plug then that's cool, but if it's the actual earpiece then that'd likely be too tricky to fix (for me or him). And of course there's the possibility that it's something else entirely...

A bad ground connection at the jack would cause most of the vocals and bass to get lost (as those are usually centre-panned), as well as give very strange sound in general. I'd guess that's the problem here. A quick check with a multimeter should show whether it really is.

I guess the problem appears with multiple different sources? Bad solder joints on 3.5 mm headphone jacks aren't terribly rare either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.