DIY Headphone amplifier recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am planning to build a headphone amplifier with digital inputs, and are looking for recommendations for a good sounding headphone amplifier. I am planning to use it on a pair of beyerdynamic DT 250 (80Ohm).

I would prefer through hole mounted components and I am able to etch double sided PCB's.

Do anyone have any good recommendations on a good sounding headamp? I do prefer a slightly warmer sounding tone.

Best regards,
Magnus,
Norway

if you recable the headphone for 4-pin "balanced" connectors you could just put a buffer chip inside each I/V converter feedback loop, adjust the I/V feedback R for enough gain and have a single stage I/V to headphone amp (assuming balanced current output DAC)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the tips!

Vladco: Looks like two good alternatives. Do you have any personal experience with these two? What op-amps would you recommend?

Sorry to miss yours question. They sound great to mine ears with good source and good cans.There is plenty review of these amps. Usually they are not the limiting factor so you hear ether source or IC or cans. Because of this you question is very system dependent. Don't forget to make interconnects and decent power supply. This amps deserve it.
O2 is still FOTM IMHO. For $30 you can build it and have a fun to compare.
Vlad
Sorry reviews on head-fi.org

Last edited:
I own AKG K 141 MK II cans, can you recommend an headphoneamp that will drive them? DIY or already made doesn't matter. But I would prefer DIY...

The Objective2 (O2) will drive them plenty and has excellent measurements. I'd set the gain switch at 1x and 1.6x from the default. Trust me on that one. I have the AKG K 171 Mk II and the K 142 HD headphones. They use the same driver as yours (AKG XXL 30mm capsule) and have the same efficiency and power rating. Anyway, the O2 is probably one of the best you can do for a reasonable price. You can get boards and panels from group buys or from JDS Labs. All the rest of the info is in the O2 thread and at nwavguy.com.

At 1.6x, the O2 will supply 3.3V from a standard 2.1V line source and feed about 60mA of current. That's the upper limit of thermal stability on the AKG's and will blow out your eardrums. So that's definately the upper limit. The 1x gain option is for overblown sources (~2.8V and such ilk) and still getting good pot travel. With less powerful sources like an iPod the 1.6x will still drive the headphones to ~125dB, unbearable and very dangerous levels.

Many portable players can only push ~5mW into the AKGs. Some do better and supply ~12-15mW. That can get pretty loud. However, you want something to tackle the quiet parts of dynamic recordings and the scale goes up to a cap of ~125mW before there's no justifiable reason to go further. At 1.6x gain and a redbook standard source, you'll be right at the headphone's 200mW stability limit.

Even though the AKGs are pretty easy to drive these days, the availability of current supplied from the amp is what makes it all worth it. I much prefer mine amped.

If you're looking for a digital input option, NwAvGuy is working on a USB DAC module that will work on the O2 or as a daughter card for his upcoming Objective Desktop Amplifier (ODA).

Hi,

I am planning to build a headphone amplifier with digital inputs, and are looking for recommendations for a good sounding headphone amplifier. I am planning to use it on a pair of beyerdynamic DT 250 (80Ohm).

I would prefer through hole mounted components and I am able to etch double sided PCB's.

Do anyone have any good recommendations on a good sounding headamp? I do prefer a slightly warmer sounding tone.

Best regards,
Magnus,
Norway

My first assumption is that you wanted S/PDIF input. Is that correct, or do you want USB?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am planning to build a headphone amplifier with digital inputs.

In other words, a DAC and a headphone amplifier in the same chassis!

"with digital inputs" isn't just a specification of the headphone amplifier, it's a complete project on its own. The design is totally independent of whatever circuit you choose for the headphone/line driver.

Just sayin'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.