Jack plug replalcement help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there guys, I think this is the right forum, please move the thread if it's not! :)

Anyway, I am about to replace the jack plug on my Hippo VBs, and was looking for a little advice. I've removed the old (faulty) jack plug, and was about to solder on the replacement, but there's 4 wires rather than 3. The stock jack plug is TRS and not TRRS, so I assume it's 2 grounds?

I was wondering if anyone here has done this with Hippo VBs before? If not, would anyone be able to advise which wire is which? The colours are: red, green, blue and copper. I know red is usually right, and green is usually left, from what I've read. Just wanted to check if anyone knew if that's the case for the VBs? If nobody is sure, is there a way to test and work it out?

Thanks!

Something that will help get an answer would be to post a picture. It is likely that two of the wires need to go to ground, but dont guess. It could be costly. Can you get your hands on an ohmeter? With one you could find out the answer pronto. Its also a nice tool to have around.

Hi, sorry in advance, this may be a double post (new member, so I'm still getting my posts approved).

I do have an ohmeter already, but as the old plug has stopped working I don't think that will work.

Here's a picture of the wires (from the headphone side, not the jack plug side).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2940/dscf2179q.jpg if that didn't work)

In that pic it's green-red-copper-blue. Wires are coated with that "paint" stuff, but I have already burned the coating off in preparation for soldering to the new jack plug.

Let me google that for you :) i love this site
first link matches, according to the first table are blue and copper ground
happy listening

I must admit I'm a big fan of lmgtfy too! :)

I had already come across the top link in my search last night actually, and was really posting here to see if anyone had done it with these headphones already, just to be sure!

However, I decided to just go for it anyway, and have just finished successfully replacing the jack plug, literally right now :D

I did go for using the blue and copper as ground, and the standard red/green for right/left. All seems to be working well, but I've not exactly had much time to test, since I just did it now. Still, seems good!!

Definitely need to practice soldering though... Haha

jack plug replacement

Newbie with this, but i also solder my Hippo vbs but the thing is the left earbud volume have lowered 70% anyone know how come this have occoured??

Burned the end of the cable before soldering.
Green - Left
Red - Right

Twisted copper and blue one together to common(ground).

I must admit I'm a big fan of lmgtfy too! :)

I had already come across the top link in my search last night actually, and was really posting here to see if anyone had done it with these headphones already, just to be sure!

However, I decided to just go for it anyway, and have just finished successfully replacing the jack plug, literally right now :D

I did go for using the blue and copper as ground, and the standard red/green for right/left. All seems to be working well, but I've not exactly had much time to test, since I just did it now. Still, seems good!!

Definitely need to practice soldering though... Haha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.