Connection problem..pls help ASAP. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Valin0r is offline Valin0r  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Default Connection problem..pls help ASAP.

Hi I got a headphone which has got 2 separate jacks (left and right separately) to connect to an audio source, and I cut the jacks off and replaced it with one single jack to connect to my speakers and I have trouble attaching the wires together... the headphone wire has 6 wires - red,blue,green,yellow,black and white. and the jack wire has 3 wires - one non-insulated and white and red. Pls help me connect which is to which, il be really grateful coz I've been trying to put this together for hours and it never works -_- Thankyou!
Old 27th September 2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Valin0r is offline Valin0r  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

Seriously noone can help?? surely it can't be that hard?
Old 27th September 2011, 10:46 AM   #3
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the brand and model number of the headphone? That info may help someone here help you. It sounds like you may have balanced headphones. If so, it may be wired like this

Click the image to open in full size.

That picture is linked from here Balanced Headphones | 6Moons - Tam Audio

In this case, to find the two pairs driving the elements, you could strip the ends off all 6 wires and use a multimeter set on "ohms" or "resistance". Pick one wire and test from there to each of the other 5 looking for a small resistance reading. If you don't get a small resistance reading then that particular wire that is one of the two shields, so skip it and repeat with a second wire. Keep going until you've found small resistance readings between two pairs. Those are your drivers. As for left and right, put them on and test the resistance again between one of the pairs. You might be able to hear a small click in that side from the multimeter. Otherwise you would have to apply audio to one of the two pair to find out which is which.

As for wiring it to the jack you are using, if your headphone is wired as above, then one wire from each driver would connect to the uninsulated terminal (the minus [-] wires), with the remaining wire from one driver to the red and the remaining wire from the other to the white. Since you don't know which is the [-] wire you might wind up with them out of phase, that is one driver moving out when it should be moving in. Phase reversal may be hard to detect by ear. If they should sound a bit off try reversing the wires on one pair (flip which wires go to the unshielded and which doesn't).

Last edited by agdr; 27th September 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 27th September 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

I forgot to say - the two shields, the wires that didn't have a low resistance reading to any other wires, connect to the unshielded terminal too. So you wind up with 4 connections there. The two shields and one wire from each driver.

I'll take a wild guess as to your color code. Red and green may be one driver, blue and yellow the other driver, with white and black as the shields.

Hide this!Advertise here!