Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2014, 02:31 PM   #201
Bibio is offline Bibio  Scotland
diyAudio Member

ooopppss i just noticed i got the components the wrong way round but you know what i mean.
Old 24th February 2014, 11:15 PM   #202
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Richard, could i use the B2 pad and the -out pad on the 14s1 boards to fit a zobel filter?

like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Sure, the capacitor and resistor are in series so the order doesn't matter, and it can go between the OUT+ signal at any point back to the nominal output return, (OUT-, COM).

I remember I strung mine between the pins of the headphone jack at one point.

note: revision 2.0 boards have pads for the optional Zobel filter.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:39 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

thanks Richard.
Old 1st March 2014, 08:34 PM   #204
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Single Sided board

I used Sprint Layout 6.0 to layout a single sided board. I made a few changes. On board rectifiers are surface mount round barrel type. I think MELF? Anyway, I doubled initial smoothing caps and added a few ceramic caps.
I left out the zobel.
I tried to do it without jumpers but I have two. Otherwise I couldnt find a way to keep ground from being interrupted.
I use large oval pads because they are easier to solder and I always make smt pads larger than they should be for easy soldering.
R5 and R6 are extra long almost like jumpers to reach from the top of the board to the bottom of the 4 transistors.
An MKP4 might not fit by about 2.5mm. I put the .lay file in my post so you can fit in a larger cap if you like.
Also the whole thing had to fit to 3" by 6" to fit my copper clad boards so things look pretty cramped in some areas but I'm looking forward to building it. Dont assume that this works instantly. If you want to use my file then please double check it against the schematic. I might build it this week if I find all the parts. Not sure if I have all the BD140/BD139. I think just 4 of each. So I'll have to order before I will know if this thing works great or not.
The yellow lines are jumpers from the rails. This was just for me to listen to this headamp so perfection is not included on this layout. Its free though
I'd like to get this working and then try it with a simple BF862 pre vs the opamp. Of course you know I love LDRs so I need to try it with LDRs at some point also.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sapphire.GIF (110.5 KB, 188 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sapphire.pdf (15.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: zip sapphire.zip (20.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by udailey; 1st March 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 1st March 2014, 10:20 PM   #205
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

As you've found, a single-sided board necessitates a jumper or two.

By the way, the capacitor banks of 3x1000 uF and 3x100 uF shown on the schematic are not set in stone. It's because I keep a stock of these values common to all my projects, so if I want 3300 uF, for example, I'll just use three 1000 uF in parallel. If I want 2200 uF, I'll use two 1000 uF. Feel free to change the arrangement as you like, a single 3300 uF (or a bit more, or less) will be fine for the filter capacitance before the regulator.

Richard
Old 16th March 2014, 12:32 AM   #206
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Replaced my first set of 2.0f boards with a new set. This time, I left out the Zobel filter and ceramic bypass caps. C1 reduced from 0.47 to 0.33 uF (Multicap PPFXS). Resistors are PRP metal film, Takman carbon film, and Kayama carbon comp. IC1 is OPA134. Gain is set at 27 dB with R4=22k.

Still breaking in, but it sounds nice. A tad dry, faster than I remember, very nimble actually. I don't think there is any disadvantage to leaving out the bypass caps, none that I can hear at present but I'll put them in later to double check.

Photo note: Nikon D600, Tamrom SP 90mm F2.8 macro 272E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0709 1280.jpg (327.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0712 1280.jpg (351.3 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by rjm; 16th March 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:54 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

goodbye buzz hello silence :-)

finally got rid of those nasty nasty RS toroids and installed a custom built Toroidy 300-4x12 and it's completely silent.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:14 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
goodbye buzz hello silence :-)

finally got rid of those nasty nasty RS toroids and installed a custom built Toroidy 300-4x12 and it's completely silent.
Have you got any pictures?
Old 25th March 2014, 01:50 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

just charging the camera battery.

it might be me but i could swear that the noise floor has dropped and everything is sounding a bit smoother. if i had one comment i would say that it has lost a very small amount of soundstage to which i actually like as its brought everything a tiny bit more to the middle of my head. but it could be a placebo.
Old 25th March 2014, 02:58 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

front of cases

Amp internals

power supply internals

ignore all the squintness i'm crap at taking pics everything is straight.

Hide this!Advertise here!