Looking for an excellent headphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I use since many years a BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 pro headphone, and enjoy it a lot. Flat, extended response, very clean.

I have to use it more and more since we have little babies in the house; and it's more and more difficult to listen our great audio system...

So; what do you suggest to overcome this DT-770 pro? I am looking for the same in better...

Thanks in advance

Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles will have all the subjective opinion anyone could stomach

whether much of it is worth the cost of the photons is another question

if you want to pay more there are now > US$1K dynamic headphones - some with such low sensitivity you will need a new amp

or you could go electrostatic headphones for anywhere between ~ $650 for a complete Koss ESP/950 system or ~ $10K for Stax latest with a amp that people regularly wait over a year for delivery...

if headphone's "inside your head" soundstage, imaging is a distraction you can actually do a really good job of "copying" a real room and loudspeaker setup, as your own ears hear it with the Smyth SVS realizer -also corrects for whatever headphone you use ( Smyth includes a basic Stax system )
http://smyth-research.com/technology.html

Last edited:
So; what do you suggest to overcome this DT-770 pro? I am looking for the same in better...
May I call Denon D5000...

I have never had a Beyer but from the reviews I read a few years about I was sure I want one. Until I have got the itch and read more about the Denon. I was initially shocked about that. Please read Home for the Markl mod too. You can buy a modded pair from Lawton audio if You are not a mod guy. I tried it on my own and I was amaized. I do not want to lead you anywhere, just giving advise for what to read.

My points was:
-I needed a closed headphone for quiet listening
-I needed an open soundstage (a bit tricky with the above)
-I needed top notch listening fun with precision (I used studio phones before and got tired from the raw precision, I needed fun, softness and precision)
-I needed something extra comfy (again, studio phones made me sore by the support on my head)

What I wouldn't expect though, is the (lack of) isolation. It is closed but I can hear mostly anything in them if there is no music playing. Not seems to be a problem for me now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.