Obtaining O2 parts in the EU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Just like so many of you I've purchased some O2 boards. Now the next step: collecting the parts to populate them while living in the EU!

Because some of the parts (most notably the JRC chips used) are hard to get over here, I'd like to have a list handy of suppliers who carry them. Also, I'd like to have a cross reference for interchangeable parts. Here's my starter:

The NJM4556D and NJM2068D can be obtained from:

Dalbani

The NJM2903D and LM393N look like drop-in replacements for each other. The latter can be obtained virtually everywhere and is very cheap.

The battery clips used on the PCB (the Eagle 12BC210 and 12BC220) look a lot like the Keystone 530 and 540, which can be obtained from RS components.

Perhaps it would be possible to have "mini group buys" for some parts per country. I would be willing to do some of the Dutch stuff.

Regards,
Jurgen

Last edited:
Now that's heartwarming enthousiasm!

How 'bout a group buy? I'll compose a basic kit that contains all the necessary parts to complete the amp less the batteries. Batteries can be bought in a supermarket, and might make the package too large to be sent as a letter. Would there be interest for that? And if so, what should be in the package and what not?

This is NOT a group buy thread, it is only about polling interest, and about discussing the contents of the buy. If there's going to be a group buy, I'll start the appropriate thread in the commercial section of this forum, where the orders can be made.

Hi,

Mouser is Mouser, same everywhere. Goods seem to be shipped from Texas, and that means that you'll get hit by duties. Farnell and RS actually ship from the EU (although behind the scenes, they import their goods), so they can precharge the duties, and you pay them and no one else. Saves a lot of hassle. It will probably a mix of different suppliers, because Mouser doesn't seem to have all the parts in stock. The volume pot for example has a lead time of 10 weeks. i don't have that kind of patience.

I just checked with the german Mouser subsidiary.
The total is 22.01€ (1 kit) or 15.37€ (100 kits) for everything excluding: Enclosure, AC Adapter and 9V Batteries.
It includes all different gain resistors, as it would be too much work to offer a GB with everyone ordering different, all or only one set of the gain resistors...
And the resistors are only 1,14€ total... ... ...

Furthermore, there are four parts with estimated delivery times of up to 10 weeks.
I don't know about you, but I'm too excited ^^
So I have asked my local electronics dealer if they can get me those parts.
They WILL be able to get them, it's just a question of price and timeframe.
The parts in question are:
810-FK28X7R1H223K(TDK-Capacitor, 3 weeks @ Mouser)
688-RK097122008T (Alps Encoder, 10 weeks @ Mouser)
450-BA161(Eagle Plastic Knob, 6 weeks @ Mouser)
863-MC7812CTG (ON Semi IC, 2 weeks @ Mouser)

Now, I would be willing to organize the groupbuy, but I can understand if a newbie on this board is not trusted.
(Of course I have positive eBay references, trade frequently on other forums and would be willing to send my personal information to an admin or something. Also, I bought 3 PCB's for the O2 in the other groupbuy.)

Any more leads on the parts Mouser doesn't have in stock?

Last edited:
Jokener,

RS has the volume potmeter. As above, I'd opt for the 15A taper, which has part no. RK09712200HA.

The knob is something I won't fret about, the local electronics store would carry something that is perfectly fine.

The TDK thing is not a resistor, it's an X7F ceramic capacitor. Any cap with the same dielectric characteristic (i.e. X7F), capacity, voltage rating and lead pitch should substitute for it.

The 7812 is a generic part, and is carried by a large amount of suppliers.

If you offer to hold the GB, I'd jump on that offer immediately!

Regards

Yeah, I noticed the resistor/capacitor error as soon as I had posted it. Its fixed now, but thanks for noting it.

About the knob: They have a boatload at my dealer, but I'll take another look tomorrow.
Personally I'll jump for the black anodized aluminum version with colored indicator, but there's just one in stock and its 12,99€'s ^^
So for a GB, I'd choose something black/grey with a white/colored(?) line for 1€ or so.

As the capacitor is non-critical (according to NwAvGuy's BOM), I selected a replacement from RS.
That way I can keep the number of suppliers as low as possible.
They only have 120 of them in stock (0,2€/piece), but thats good for 60 O2's...
If insufficient, I'll check with my local dealer.

The only thing that irritates me about the 7812 is that my local dealer only has the 7812CT part number listed and no 7812CTG.
I'll find out whether there is a difference or what the difference is.
The datasheet that my dealer has does not mention a CTG, so I'll see.

The Alps is sourced from RS, they are the only shop I could find that has more than 20 in stock.

Anyway, do I have to ask a Mod to allow me to start a GB in the GB-section?
As I said before, I dont want to cause any irritation...
And that is why I won't do it if there is anybody to veto this.
Of course no-one HAS to take part in the GB, but anyway...

And now I'll take my girlfriend out, so don't expect me back before midnight (german time). :)

Hi,

The 7812CTG is the ROHS compliant part, the 7812CT is not. Perhaps the "G" stands for "Green"? Anyway, functionally they are completely the same, and chances are that you'll get the CTG anyway. The ROHS part can still be soldered with leaded solder, so no problem here.

Look at this:

diyAudio - Announcements in Forum : Group Buys

It looks like you can just go ahead.

Have a good night out!

The battery clips used on the PCB (the Eagle 12BC210 and 12BC220) look a lot like the Keystone 530 and 540, which can be obtained from RS components.
This thread is a great idea. Thanks for starting it and everyone trying to help out. I'm just one guy so it's great to have some help answering questions, solving parts problems, etc.

The Keystone 530 and 540 are close but not quite the same footprint. It might be possible to adapt them but it would be better to include the Eagle parts in a group buy. The other option is to just use wire leaded 9 volt "snaps" (there's a part number in the BOM), trim the leads short, and secure the batteries with double-sided foam tape, etc. (which is a good idea even with the Eagle terminals).

The volume control is currently a big problem and I'm revising the PCB to work with several additional options including a Bourns pot stocked by Farnell

I found the difference between the clips as well, right after posting. I should have looked better before flapping my mouth. Currently, Joneker is offering to organize a GB for the EU, and this thread seems to be the place to review any changes in the BOM and compatible part substitutes. The more people review the suggestions here, the better the list becomes. So thanks for looking!

it seems like a good idea to hold off ordering parts and to wait for the "design freeze" before finalizing the EU BOM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.