HD650 cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would stay away from the navships stuff, i dont know why its recommended so often (other than being cheap), anyone who has actually used it for a headphone cable would know that its microphonic as hell, so the sleeving and damping thats needed to make a useful headphone cable makes it absolutely NOT easier to use than mogami. whats hard about using mic cable? i dont understand, you strip it, terminate it, done. no twisting, braiding, shielding (if you please), damping or sleeving.

the cardas 4 x 24 is pretty decent, but i would actually use mogami W3106 if you can get it, its dual channel, basically its the mogami quad split into 2 pairs which are individually shielded but bonded together and its still very flexible, so basically al the work is done for you.

MG-3106.JPG

Last edited:
oh yeah sure, its ok, but it absolutely needs to be treated as you say or it really is nasty microphonic and at that point i query whether its easier than using microphone cable. hehe navships iem cables now that would be funny, maybe er4S or some customs. i think its the teflon he uses, its quite thick for the gauge and it seems at least on the stuff i have to be very tightly bonded, like its extruded onto the wire, so stripping it is a pain. dont know what gauge it is i have of his, think its 26ga. still good for low level internal wiring in projects but i havent used it for headphones since the first time.

If you do go the road of needing braiding there's a seller on ebay "furryletters" is the cheapest around with a big variety of sizes colours etc.

I made a set (forked out for the cardas connectors) but the cable broke a few times at the connector. PITA. If I was doing it again I would buy a replacement cable and attach the new wire about 1/2" from the connector. Not ideal I know (I know!!) but reliable at least.

Fran

If I was doing it again I would buy a replacement cable and attach the new wire about 1/2" from the connector. Not ideal I know (I know!!) but reliable at least.

Fran

The dog chewed the cable about a cm from the headphone plug:mad:
Luckily she likes thin cables and left the phones intact.
The 3106 looks like a good choice but may be difficult to get into the single 1/4" jack.
kffern

If you do go the road of needing braiding there's a seller on ebay "furryletters" is the cheapest around with a big variety of sizes colours etc.

I made a set (forked out for the cardas connectors) but the cable broke a few times at the connector. PITA. If I was doing it again I would buy a replacement cable and attach the new wire about 1/2" from the connector. Not ideal I know (I know!!) but reliable at least.

Fran

sorry to say, but it sounds to me like you did something wrong a few times, or used very thick cable with no strain relief. i havent had the problem you describe or had it reported to me and i do this professionally so ive done hundreds of senn cables. on one of my personal portable cables for my hd600 (only 4' long for if i feel like annoying people on the bus) i havent even used any strain relief, or added any hotglue to the connector and its still perfectly fine after using it for over a year.

so basically, make a good solid joint, fill the cup with hotglue or epoxy, add some heatshrink over the top and you wont have any problem.

I managed to fix the original cable. Ended up cutting the bottom of the plug as well to get enough wire to work with. Stripping the enamel of the small bit of cable was difficult as strands kept breaking. What saved me was buying some liquid insulation tape. Great stuff, wish I had some handy before. A wrap of self amalgamating tape and it works fine and still flexible.

I might go with navships sheathed 4 core after all and will report back. It may be a bit stiff and sound bright but worth a try.
thanks,
kffern

I received the 4 core shielded cable from navships (ebay). eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
Bought the plugs and a connex headphone plug from partsconnexion. I had a bit of trouble soldering the cardas headphone plugs without melting the rubber. I kept having dropouts and it turned out to be the stupid connex plug. Don't ever buy one its complete junk.
Finally bought a very nice Amphenol plug locally which fits the thin wire very well. I used the full 15' for now but plan to use a metre to make a phono cable for my Micro seiki arm.

While I was sorting out the soldering I was a bit worried as it was quite bright with highs accentuated. Through the DAC1 it was an improvement but through the Sapphire it was painfull. I was a bit worried.

Listened through 8 to 10 CD's and records. By the time I got it all sorted it seems to have smoothed out and I now love the improvement. Veils lifted and all that. For the price I am very pleased but would like to compare against a Cardas cable to be sure. Strongly recomended till then. It is a bit stiff but I don't dance around with my phones on so I don't have a problem. I do have to unroll it a bit before I sit down but I do have 15 foot. Unfortunaltely navships hasnt listed any more.
kffern

Last edited:
>> Stripping the enamel of the small bit of cable was difficult as strands kept breaking. What saved me was buying some liquid insulation tape.

Not sure how liquid insulation did that.

About ayear ago I faced that same insulating material (lacquer like, red & green) and would like to know how to get a good solder connection.

I built the cable qusp recommended. It is stout, but sounds great, all fifty feet of it.

'gardz, Dick

glad you like it Dick, yeah its a bit thicker than stock, but its still very flexible, so i have no qualms recommending it due to ease of use and high quality construction. people often use the mogami quad and thats stiffer and not individually shielded. with 50 foot (wtf?) if it wasnt like that you could end up with some serious crosstalk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.