Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2011, 03:29 PM   #921
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Maybe we should split the market into pro and consumer stuff, doing that the statements wouldn't become so sweeping. So, the semipro's will probably allways follow what the pro's uses. The consumers uses what fills their needs and wallets...
actually i think prosumer probably adopt new standards quicker as they arent weighed down so much with a massive investment to change, or a massive client base that expect a certain industry standard to be followed.

i should mention that ive gone from using an RME internal multichannel, to feeding my sabre with the AES from that card, to using the multichannel USB installed in my dac and will continue on that path for the foreseeable future. i dont disagree usb offers many advantages and its easier in most cases if analogue is kept external, especially for diy; as long as ground can be isolated and with faster speeds and higher currents with SSD and memory and CPU getting faster the problem will only get worse.

I also agree that thunderbolt is very exciting, especially considering i have a thunderbolt equipped Mac. i just disagree that internal audio and DSP is going away anytime soon in the professional domain.

glad you changed to WE, initially before engaged i only made a short comment following on with the way the thread was going including you; but happy to cut it out as i think weve all reached some sort of agreement anyway

if only a certain someone would deliver my PCBs i might have something really on topic to say!!

Last edited by qusp; 28th November 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 28th November 2011, 03:39 PM   #922
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes qusp, I have to agree on the prosumers... And yes, I was very much in driving the discussion but I am happy that I noticed my misstake.

Last edited by Turbon; 28th November 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 28th November 2011, 03:46 PM   #923
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes qusp, I have to agree on the prosumers...
quite often theyve got a bit of disposable income as well and dont need to worry so much about the investment earning its keep; or should i say, the income theyve got to spend on their 'hobby' is totally earmarked for disposing of =)

I wish they had that spoiler function here for hiding off topic parts of posts unless someone clicks to show

as far as on topic i'm thinking of incorporating the AKD-20 plus a usb-i2s into the same case as the O2 as theres a pretty excellent deal at the moment for those after something sooner. whats the most appropriate placement for a signal star ground and does anyone have any suggestions for source selection with the O2 in the theme of the project? bare in mind this is a present for my good friends graduation for journalism (finally found himself in his late 30's and kicked ***!!) so while this is a pretty nice pressie i dont want to spend more than i have to. time i dont mind, i love this guy like a brother

Last edited by qusp; 28th November 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 28th November 2011, 03:52 PM   #924
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have noticed that you have some sort of trouble down under with parts.
Old 28th November 2011, 04:17 PM   #925
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, I have noticed that you have some sort of trouble down under with parts.
that would be an 'under'statement....

luckily i opted out of the parts kits for a few reasons, money was earmarked for other things at the time, i didnt like the way things were looking and i already have a lot of suitable parts in my parts bin and dont need even less room in my workshop storage.

looks like it could finally be happening though, i havent even been waiting on parts but still dont have the pcbs cos they were shipped to him. at this point i dont mind putting him on show a bit......

i feel for the other guys, i'm just late with a present i planned for graduation/Xmas
Old 28th November 2011, 04:25 PM   #926
RocketScientist is offline RocketScientist  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok... hopefully we can leave the pro and prosumer discussions for another thread and focus on 2 channel O2-related discussion here. On that note, it's likely the DAC board for the ODA may be available (or at least fully tested and announced) before the final ODA PCB artwork will be released. So anyone considering a DAC purchase to go with their O2 may want to keep that in mind.
Old 28th November 2011, 04:25 PM   #927
diyAudio Member

qusp - Lets hope for the best...
RS - Yes sir! Will do sir!
Old 28th November 2011, 04:28 PM   #928
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScientist View Post
Ok... hopefully we can leave the pro and prosumer discussions for another thread and focus on 2 channel O2-related discussion here. On that note, it's likely the DAC board for the ODA may be available (or at least fully tested and announced) before the final ODA PCB artwork will be released. So anyone considering a DAC purchase to go with their O2 may want to keep that in mind.
im done, like i said already weve reached agreement. man get with it RS we did that on the last page already!!

i'll be getting the dac i linked to go with the O2 as i have the correct hiface OEM usb-i2s module to drop on it already, so its an easy simple solution at less than 100 for a compact hires 2 channel USB dac and its 'just down the road'. only problem is the sync on mac is a bit **** so movies are a nogo, audio is fine, its a driver issue that hasnt been addressed. There are ways around it ie. delaying the video a few frames. It works fine on win and linux as is and i should note its not a problem with the dac, but the hiface mac driver

but for those over your side of the pond who are starting from scratch and want a project as well documented as the O2, probably the best choice is to wait

Last edited by qusp; 28th November 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 28th November 2011, 04:29 PM   #929
diyAudio Member

Yes, he is quite slow from time to time this RS... Isn't he ;-)
Old 28th November 2011, 04:50 PM   #930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, he is quite slow from time to time this RS... Isn't he ;-)
indeed, if it wasnt for us, who would there be to fill the pages with useful information?

anyway chaps i'll leave you to your regular program. it'll be time for the Aussie invasion this week with any luck. not discounting the amount of work involved for BF down here, but pretty sure he did

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY ProjectHide this!Advertise here!