The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2011, 03:32 PM   #531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
No one is selling complete kits..

You'll need to check the O2 board group buy and see if there are any spares left, order your own parts from the BOM, and if you want, get in on the Front Panel Group buy..
Ok Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 06:24 PM   #532
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Portable dac?

Which DIY one would you recommend fitting in an equal sized box as the O2 or if it would fit in a slightly bigger box containing the both of them. Of course there has to be switches so one is able to use just one of them or both at your command :-)
Old 20th October 2011, 06:36 PM   #533
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

In case anyone is planning on doing a mini Desktop and either using the standard panels included with the B3 boxes or getting panels from the Group Buy that is ongoing, the 1/4" jack that RocketScientist(aka NwAvGuy) included in the BOM will not work due to its requirement for a 1.2 - 1.5 mm panel thickness..

An alternative I found with approximately the same physical dimensions and less specific requirements for the panel mounting is the Neutrik NRJ3HF-1 and NRJ-NUT-B combo (Mouser#s 568-NRJ3HF-1 and 550-1005)
Old 20th October 2011, 06:43 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Which DIY one would you recommend fitting in an equal sized box as the O2 or if it would fit in a slightly bigger box containing the both of them. Of course there has to be switches so one is able to use just one of them or both at your command :-)
The Grub Dac from Beezar.com might fit the bill for you, although you'd have to figure out how to mount the board and connectors.. You could probably put it in the B3-080 desktop case along with the O2....
Old 20th October 2011, 06:43 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Bugger. Looks like I will be doing some first-class botching, seeing that shipping from Mouser is eyewateringly expensive in the UK and most places have minimum orders.
Old 20th October 2011, 07:01 PM   #536
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks MrSlim, I'll check it out but tubes? what are they for? buffering?. I need no amplification since I'm going for the O2 but still, I'll look into them.

Hmmm, sorry - the grub dac looks intressting... But, the input is limited to 16/48 on usb. I am more in search for 24/96 as a minimum without amplifier.

Brgds

Last edited by Turbon; 20th October 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 20th October 2011, 07:10 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

Turbon, no, they have tube amps.. but the Grub and skeleton dac are tubeless..
Old 20th October 2011, 07:16 PM   #538
yiihaw is offline yiihaw  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm new here, and just wanted to drop a thank-you to NwAvGuy/RocketScientist for the great design and everyone organising the GB's to help materialize this amp. Very much appreciated!

I currently enjoy my music with a FiiO E7/E9 combo and a pair of HD650's. Can't wait to put together an O2.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:04 AM   #539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiihaw View Post
I currently enjoy my music with a FiiO E7/E9 combo and a pair of HD650's. Can't wait to put together an O2.
The O2 probably won't sound any different than the E9 for you, since even the latter's 10 ohm output impedance is plenty low for HD650s, and about 160 mW of power should be ample, too.

Anyway, the O2 should be a fun project, and you'll be happy you got one the moment you acquire some multi-driver IEMs or other similarly fussy headgear.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:52 AM   #540
yiihaw is offline yiihaw  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
The O2 probably won't sound any different than the E9 for you, since even the latter's 10 ohm output impedance is plenty low for HD650s, and about 160 mW of power should be ample, too.

Anyway, the O2 should be a fun project, and you'll be happy you got one the moment you acquire some multi-driver IEMs or other similarly fussy headgear.
Yeah, I realise that, and I'm not really expecting any change in SQ (and I'm very happy with the FiiO). Anyhow, the thoughtful design of the O2 is what really sold it for me, and the O2 will primarily serve as a semi-portable, easy-to-pull-out-and-put-away amp for home listening, as the E7/E9 is my office setup and a bit too much of a hassle to move around. I also have other much more sensitive headphones, which might benefit from the O2 as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!