Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2018, 04:58 PM   #5261
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Excellent well done.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:43 AM   #5262
MaverickPT is offline MaverickPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Could someone explain me why does the O2 a voltage doubler/half wave rectifier in the power section? Why not a full bridge rectifier?

Also, why does it seem to me that the NJM4556s in the output stage seem...duplicated? Is it just so that they can supply double the amount of power?
Click the image to open in full size.

One last thing, it seems like the op amps aren't AC coupled. Why? Isn't ac coupling more advantageous?

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th July 2018, 07:55 AM   #5263
diyAudio Moderator

The power supply generates a split rail from a single AC winding and allows one side of that winding to be referred to as 'ground' or zero volts so that precludes using a bridge rectifier in the traditional way. A four terminal bridge rectifier could be fitted and would be configured with each pair of diodes in parallel by connecting together the two AC terminals.

Parallel opamps deliver twice the current.

There is AC coupling from the volume control to the final output stage. When and where and why to include it is down to design choices.
Old 9th July 2018, 09:14 AM   #5264
diyAudio Member

I find it interesting that there is no output decoupling cap. I know it was avoided to help the lower freqs, but how does it solve the DC component on the output?
Old 9th July 2018, 09:15 AM   #5265
diyAudio Member

PS: I'm been thinking for a while on making a DAC based on the PCM2912, mostly as a learning project. What do you guys think if i combined both in the same device? I know i'll have to deal with digital noise/grounding/different power supplies etc.
Old 9th July 2018, 10:40 AM   #5266
diyAudio Moderator

An output coupling cap would automatically remove any DC present and as an added bonus protect the headphones from any possible DC fault.

There is no (or very little anyway) DC present at any of the opamp outputs because the circuit uses dual supplies (a plus and minus rail). All points within the audio circuit are very close to zero volts DC unless a fault is present.

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY ProjectHide this!Advertise here!