The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2011, 06:03 AM   #471
tschuss is offline tschuss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarc View Post
Therefore, I ask you in the most polite tone possible right now to stop polluting this thread already and - if you are so inclined - take this discussion somewhere else where I can ignore it. I am interested in the OP's thread, not your personal drivel.
My God. I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is getting beyond ridiculous.
Old 26th September 2011, 03:59 PM   #472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauxigens View Post
@RocketScientist: I was just thinking... MrSlim wants to put more stuff on the front with the B3 version. He needs wires for this if I understand correctly. Could this degrade performance measurably?
I've had private discussions with MrSlim about how to handle the wiring and I'm reasonably confident it should not significantly degrade the performance. But I haven't built such an amp to measure it. The most likely issue is a slight increase in noise but that's mostly because the O2 is so quiet to begin with.

If you want a desktop amp, and are concerned, you could always wait for the desktop board that will eliminate the external wiring.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:49 PM   #473
diyAudio Member

Well, I already paid MrSlim half the costs and I'm not sure if he can return the bought parts or switch to the original design.. mh. Mhhhhh. I don't know what kind of test equipment MrSlim has. Are there some simple tests with oscilloscopes or something he or I can do to test whether the build performs approximately like the original design?
Old 26th September 2011, 06:15 PM   #474
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauxigens View Post
Well, I already paid MrSlim half the costs and I'm not sure if he can return the bought parts or switch to the original design.. mh. Mhhhhh. I don't know what kind of test equipment MrSlim has. Are there some simple tests with oscilloscopes or something he or I can do to test whether the build performs approximately like the original design?
If you're worried, send me an email and I'll switch you to the standard design, I have extra standard cases(B2), and I can always use the B3 case that I bought for you for myself.
JD
Old 26th September 2011, 06:40 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

Done The desktop version with an integrated DAC would probably the better choice but oh well... I still have my Gamma2. I just hope it actually is any good, can't trust AMB anymore. And to think that I blew 200 on it... Looking forward to RS's test Should RS find a good DAC for integration with the desktop version, I could probably take it and put it into an enclosure by itself or something.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:10 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Mauxigens, The Gamma2 is quite a well regarded DAC.. I don't think you blew your money on it (I have one myself).. Besides, it will match the size of the O2 exactly..

To be honest, I have a bit of an issue with "integration", since it means you can't upgrade either one of the devices independently..(and I like having an analog input too)
Old 28th September 2011, 12:04 PM   #477
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

@MrSlim: Why do you think there is no possibility for separate upgrades?
I would currently expect a common case but separate PCB's for DAC and amp.
Old 28th September 2011, 01:41 PM   #478
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I realized after I posted my comment that it's not really relevant to DIY, since individual components can be replaced at the owner's discretion.. I was thinking more about some of the combined consumer units..
Old 30th September 2011, 07:56 AM   #479
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

We'll see...
I was three keystrokes away from ordering the Buffalo III.
But now that RS wants to put a couple of DACs through his patented measurement torture test, I held off on that.
I am so curious about the results!

(Even though I'll most likely buy the Buffalo anyhow, since I need the I2S input...)
Old 30th September 2011, 01:15 PM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokener View Post
We'll see...
I was three keystrokes away from ordering the Buffalo III.
But now that RS wants to put a couple of DACs through his patented measurement torture test, I held off on that.
I am so curious about the results!

(Even though I'll most likely buy the Buffalo anyhow, since I need the I2S input...)
Aren't we always about three keystrokes away from ordering basically anything? ;-)

I'm sure the Buffalo III is awesome, but I balked at the price. I just don't know that there should be a need for that much expense in a DAC. Much like the O2, I think it can be done cheaply and very, very well. I'm also looking forward to more measurements from RS.

Hide this!Advertise here!