The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 303 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 12:46 PM   #3021
MGeeOne is offline MGeeOne  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is this project a reasonable place for a beginner to start? If so, are there any group buys still going on or would I need to purchase everything seperately?

Also, is there any advantage to point to point wiring rather than using the PCB...I kinda like old school.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 10th January 2013, 01:05 PM   #3022
diyAudio Member

Great beginner project. I never soldered on pcb before and had no problems. Pcb is a lot easier method of doing this.

You can get diy kit here Head 'n' HiFi - Walter
Old 10th January 2013, 01:15 PM   #3023
diyAudio Member

Brilliant thanks zoidbergslo!

This is probably a stupid question for a beginner, but is there any benefit to upgrading any components from the standard kit? Better pot? Higher spec caps?

Also, how long to the batteries last? Is there a DIY PSU one can make too? Or does this bring down the quality? I'm going to be using it at my desk, since my AKG K702's are not that portable now I've upgraded the cable to Cardas L-4E6S!!

Thanks again
Old 10th January 2013, 02:04 PM   #3024
ericj is online now ericj  United States
diyAudio Member

The designer picked those specific caps on purpose.

If you are going to build it as a desktop amp in a bigger enclosure it just needs a 16vac or so transformer and there is no reason not to panel mount better quality jacks and controls.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10th January 2013, 02:26 PM   #3025
diyAudio Member

Default A few questions- BOM, schematic, gain switch, etc

Hey guys-

Where is the high resolution schematic? And the xls version of the current BOM? All I find is the googledocs version.

Also, one note I jotted down while reading through the many NwAvGuy web pages (whew!) is this:

"The only thing I would not remove from the PCB is the gain switch."

Why is that? I was thinking to have a remote gain switch so I could wire up more than two choices. Wouldn't whatever resistance in the wire be miniscule/irrrelevant compared to the resistors values? Or is something else going on?

Thanks, Keith Ostertag
Old 10th January 2013, 02:37 PM   #3026
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eric... I'm new to this so was just thinking if those caps had been spec'd to achieve a price/quality balance then there may be alternatives that could improve sound but may cost more.

I understand that there are compromises in any design.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:13 PM   #3027
ericj is online now ericj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGeeOne View Post
Thanks Eric... I'm new to this so was just thinking if those caps had been spec'd to achieve a price/quality balance then there may be alternatives that could improve sound but may cost more.

I understand that there are compromises in any design.
Really you should read the blog posts about the design choices, but basically an increase in capacitance would likely decrease performance. Lower ESR may not have a positive effect either.

I wonder if a desktop version might be better with a 4562 instead of a 2068 but this has already probably been discussed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10th January 2013, 03:16 PM   #3028
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I recommend getting the diy kit from Head 'n' HiFi - Walter
I've built two of those so far. Very easy and straight forward and it's a perfect project for beginners. No difficult SMD components, all through-hole components. DIP-sockets for easy mounting of OP-amps.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:40 PM   #3029
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithostertag View Post
Hey guys-

Where is the high resolution schematic? And the xls version of the current BOM? All I find is the googledocs version.

Also, one note I jotted down while reading through the many NwAvGuy web pages (whew!) is this:

"The only thing I would not remove from the PCB is the gain switch."

Why is that? I was thinking to have a remote gain switch so I could wire up more than two choices. Wouldn't whatever resistance in the wire be miniscule/irrrelevant compared to the resistors values? Or is something else going on?

Thanks, Keith Ostertag
because by moving the gain switch to the panel you are taking the feedback loop out to the panel with it and thus increasing the length of the loop and decreasing stability, increasing noise pickup etc.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:41 PM   #3030
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the blog headsup...will digest over the next few days. Then straight to HnH!

Will look out for a suitable PSU too...in fact that might be another good DIY maybe?

Hide this!Advertise here!