The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 301 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #3001
lethean is offline lethean  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruncynutcornflakes View Post
As a side note, any tips for removing the solder from the holes? I might delve back in and try and redo the holes.
Just use solder braid (sometimes called solder wick) to pull the solder out of the hole. I believe Radio Shack even still sells it.

For best results, make sure your tip is hot (bump up the heat if it's adjustable), and brush some liquid flux onto the braid before you begin. Then just push the fluxed part of the braid against the hole and heat it with the soldering iron.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, solder drills out pretty easily. Just make sure you secure the board (a Panavise or similar works best), use a tip smaller than the hole, and center it (you don't want to damage any through-hole plating).

P.S.: Give yourself plenty of wick between the hole and your fingers. An annoying property of copper is that it conducts heat rather more quickly than you might expect in this situation.
Old 7th January 2013, 03:56 PM   #3002
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

ericj - another thought about your O2. If the power supply is measuring OK with the power switch off, the easiest thing to do would probably be just change out all 4 op amps as a set. If you order them might as well get a set of mosfets too, just in case, since it is all fairly cheap.

That would save a bunch of debugging time and may eliminate a failure down the road if the unbalanced rails caused any lingering problems.

Good luck!
Old 7th January 2013, 04:26 PM   #3003
ericj is online now ericj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
ericj - another thought about your O2. If the power supply is measuring OK with the power switch off, the easiest thing to do would probably be just change out all 4 op amps as a set. If you order them might as well get a set of mosfets too, just in case, since it is all fairly cheap.

That would save a bunch of debugging time and may eliminate a failure down the road if the unbalanced rails caused any lingering problems.

Good luck!
Thanks. I had bigger fish to fry over the weekend and didn't get to my O2.

The 4556 and 2068 are some of my favorite chips so i may have spares anyway. Perhaps today i should go ahead and order new mosfets and regulators, just in case.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:07 PM   #3004
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruncynutcornflakes View Post
As a side note, any tips for removing the solder from the holes? I might delve back in and try and redo the holes.

!
You can also get what is known as a 'solder sucker' at Radio Shack. It is manual operation which is cheap and fast and gets all the solder out of the hole. Other places sell an ac powered Solder Sucker... which is what I use now. -Thx RNMarsh
Old 7th January 2013, 05:11 PM   #3005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
You can also get what is known as a 'solder sucker' at Radio Shack. It is manual operation which is cheap and fast and gets all the solder out of the hole. Other places sell an ac powered Solder Sucker... which is what I use now. -Thx RNMarsh
I am also a fan of copper braid solder wick that has been liberally coated with good flux.

Sometimes you have to add a big blob of solder to a through-hole in order to suck it clean, btw, regardless of technique.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 7th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #3006
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I dislike the solder sucker. Never been successful when using it. I much prefer the solder wick.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:46 PM   #3007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I tried both wick and a sucker but no avail. I seen someone using the end of a match to penetrate the hole, I guess I'll try and work around it that way.

Do you think a poor connection could cause my slight channel imbalance?
Old 7th January 2013, 06:33 PM   #3008
diyAudio Member

That is what would make it a poor connection, IMO. IOW either an inadequate mechanical or high-resistance electrical connection. I would probably try to apply the soldering iron to one side of the board to melt the solder and insert the wire through the hole from the other side, then set about obtaining a good fillet.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #3009
diyAudio Member

Out of curiosity, anybody ever wedge a 1/4" jack into the portable enclosure? Search feature doesn't seem to help me find that out.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:26 PM   #3010
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Not entirely sure where you would put it... It's all a tight fit if you use the specified box.

Hide this!Advertise here!