The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 280 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 09:58 PM   #2791
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Since I'm using the computer as source, is there anyway I could lower the output from the computer?
I know it's possible to just turn down the volume in Foobar2000, but that degrades the audio quality, doesn't it?
No, it doesn't
__________________
everything O2 and ODAC related can be found here: www.headnhifi.com - your DIY and audio resource
or have a peek in our vendor forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #2792
diyAudio Member
 
Rullknufs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
No, it doesn't
Which of my questions have this answer?
So, you are saying that I can lower the volume in Foobar2000 without losing any dynamics or overall sound quality?
__________________
My audio and DIY blog: http://phimusic.blogspot.se/
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 10:52 PM   #2793
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Which of my questions have this answer?
So, you are saying that I can lower the volume in Foobar2000 without losing any dynamics or overall sound quality?
Yes, you won't loose anything, this has been discussed in the comments section of the ODAC article in NwAvGuy's blog
__________________
everything O2 and ODAC related can be found here: www.headnhifi.com - your DIY and audio resource
or have a peek in our vendor forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 10:53 PM   #2794
diyAudio Member
 
Rullknufs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Yes, you won't loose anything, this has been discussed in the comments section of the ODAC article in NwAvGuy's blog
Ah, great. Then I wont need to do any further modifications on my O2+ODAC then
__________________
My audio and DIY blog: http://phimusic.blogspot.se/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 03:09 PM   #2795
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Ah, great. Then I wont need to do any further modifications on my O2+ODAC then
I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 03:38 PM   #2796
diyAudio Member
 
Rullknufs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?
How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.
__________________
My audio and DIY blog: http://phimusic.blogspot.se/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #2797
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.
You probably are. It's terminology. Foobar is probably using the ODAC to play instead of the computer's sound card. Strictly speaking the ODAC is the source. The computer is only the source when you are using it's internal sound card. Effectively it is the soundcard (which is what the ODAC is) that it the 'source'. Foobar is just a software player that will use whichever soiund card is configured. So long as there is no 3.5mm lead going from the computer's sound output to the O2 then foobar must be using the ODAC. (The O2 'in' socket gets preference/priority over the ODAC.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:21 PM   #2798
PelPix is offline PelPix  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Is there something wrong with my O2 if it picks up audible RFI from my CDMA cell phone? It'll buzz and click while my phone sends and receives data at up to 10 feet away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:24 PM   #2799
diyAudio Member
 
Rullknufs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix View Post
Is there something wrong with my O2 if it picks up audible RFI from my CDMA cell phone? It'll buzz and click while my phone sends and receives data at up to 10 feet away.
My O2+Odac did the same yesterday, but then my phone was ~10cm from the device. If I have the phone if my left pocket and the amp on the desktop on my right I have never heard it pick up any noise.
__________________
My audio and DIY blog: http://phimusic.blogspot.se/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:26 PM   #2800
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member
 
6L6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Did you ground the case?

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headphone amp project grahamfocal Headphone Systems 7 21st June 2011 06:28 PM
My latest project - DAC + headphone amp gmarsh Digital Line Level 105 13th December 2010 03:31 PM
My headphone amp project trifidmaster Headphone Systems 2 22nd December 2008 04:52 PM
Mini Ipod headphone amp DIY project Nordic Headphone Systems 14 11th March 2007 03:35 PM
Need help for a battery headphone amp project dismalonyx Headphone Systems 1 16th April 2004 12:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2