The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 280 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2012, 09:58 PM   #2791
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Since I'm using the computer as source, is there anyway I could lower the output from the computer?
I know it's possible to just turn down the volume in Foobar2000, but that degrades the audio quality, doesn't it?
No, it doesn't
Old 9th September 2012, 10:10 PM   #2792
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
No, it doesn't
Which of my questions have this answer?
So, you are saying that I can lower the volume in Foobar2000 without losing any dynamics or overall sound quality?
Old 9th September 2012, 10:52 PM   #2793
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Which of my questions have this answer?
So, you are saying that I can lower the volume in Foobar2000 without losing any dynamics or overall sound quality?
Yes, you won't loose anything, this has been discussed in the comments section of the ODAC article in NwAvGuy's blog
Old 9th September 2012, 10:53 PM   #2794
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Yes, you won't loose anything, this has been discussed in the comments section of the ODAC article in NwAvGuy's blog
Ah, great. Then I wont need to do any further modifications on my O2+ODAC then
Old 10th September 2012, 03:09 PM   #2795
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ah, great. Then I wont need to do any further modifications on my O2+ODAC then
I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?
Old 10th September 2012, 03:38 PM   #2796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?
How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #2797
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.
You probably are. It's terminology. Foobar is probably using the ODAC to play instead of the computer's sound card. Strictly speaking the ODAC is the source. The computer is only the source when you are using it's internal sound card. Effectively it is the soundcard (which is what the ODAC is) that it the 'source'. Foobar is just a software player that will use whichever soiund card is configured. So long as there is no 3.5mm lead going from the computer's sound output to the O2 then foobar must be using the ODAC. (The O2 'in' socket gets preference/priority over the ODAC.)
Old 10th September 2012, 10:21 PM   #2798
PelPix is offline PelPix  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there something wrong with my O2 if it picks up audible RFI from my CDMA cell phone? It'll buzz and click while my phone sends and receives data at up to 10 feet away.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:24 PM   #2799
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix View Post
Is there something wrong with my O2 if it picks up audible RFI from my CDMA cell phone? It'll buzz and click while my phone sends and receives data at up to 10 feet away.
My O2+Odac did the same yesterday, but then my phone was ~10cm from the device. If I have the phone if my left pocket and the amp on the desktop on my right I have never heard it pick up any noise.
Old 10th September 2012, 10:26 PM   #2800
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you ground the case?

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!