The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 266 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2012, 09:59 AM   #2651
diyAudio Member

For my first O2 I got two 250mAh Tenergy batteries from ebay seller vt12340 in the US. They've been in use for 6 months now without problems.

The price for two delivered to the UK is currently 11.52 - I've no affiliation with the seller, but was satisfied with the service. No import duty/VAT to worry about for that value.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:44 AM   #2652
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitfan View Post
Built into a Black Cube clone case.

The O2 board was piggy-backed on the Black Cube clone pcb,
What is the black cube, and in what way is the O2 working with it? Or are they just sharing case space?
Old 17th July 2012, 01:20 PM   #2653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is the black cube, and in what way is the O2 working with it? Or are they just sharing case space?
Sorry, shouldn't have assumed it was widely known.

This is the original

The one I had was an inexpensive Chinese clone. It produced enough heat to cook an egg, so I soon stopped using it.

My first O2 6 months ago was a revelation in terms of sound quality, but I wanted to have a more substantial case to go on my desk and a bit more connection flexibility (as NwAvGuy is planning with the ODA). When I noticed the O2 and the Black Cube (BC) pcbs had identical widths, I thought I'd try to make use of the case I already had.

The BC pcb uses a bigger Alps potentiometer and Neutrik 1/4" headphone sockets, so it was convenient to make use of the solder pads to mount the new ones I got for the O2 and have them line up with the holes in the front panel. After stripping all the components from the BC pcb I drilled holes for some mounting pillars for the O2 board and to route the wiring to the headphone sockets, potentiometer, LED, etc.

I was running my first O2 at 1x gain, so was able to completely leave out the gain switch and associated resistors.

The new Alps potentiometer has a really nice feel to it, and is logarithmic, so operates identically to the original O2 one in electrical terms.

Sound quality seems at least as good as my first O2, with the usual completely silent background. But it looks nicer to me (at least when the top is on the case).
Old 17th July 2012, 03:22 PM   #2654
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The one I had was an inexpensive Chinese clone...etc

Great, thanks for that.
Old 17th July 2012, 04:30 PM   #2655
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

This is the original
can you link the clone ?

-joe
Old 17th July 2012, 05:12 PM   #2656
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
can you link the clone ?

-joe
There's more than one, but mine was this one

I got it quite a while back, so I think some of the cosmetic aspects have changed.
Old 19th July 2012, 06:59 AM   #2657
brickj is offline brickj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For my first O2 I got two 250mAh Tenergy batteries from ebay seller vt12340 in the US. They've been in use for 6 months now without problems.

The price for two delivered to the UK is currently 11.52 - I've no affiliation with the seller, but was satisfied with the service. No import duty/VAT to worry about for that value.
Thanks. I've given them a try too. You can't have too many PP3s!
Old 20th July 2012, 03:16 AM   #2658
diyAudio Member

I finished my desktop O2 tonight. Now I'm happy until the ODA arrives.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th July 2012, 06:05 PM   #2659
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
I wish someone would do that (SMD version)! The O2's physical size could probably shrink 30% or more if both sides of the board and SMD parts were used, and/or more stuff could be put on. You might want to shoot RocketScientist a PM or email on his website. Maybe he would have some interest in the project. Sounds like he is pretty slammed with the day job right now, but if someone else did a layout and board stuffing maybe he would be willing to look it over. By his licensing terms on the O2 design you could only use the (modified) design/board for yourself - the DIYers here couldn't do a group buy, etc from the way I read it. Maybe he would be willing to allow a SMD version of the PCB to be made available to the DIY community once the art is done and if he were able to find time to verify the results on his equipment.

You also might want to consider starting a separate "SMD O2" thread too, given the length of this one. I'll bet there are a lot of folks on the forum here with SMD experience that might want to chip in comments and ideas on something like that.

Just a thought!
I'd also be interested in combining the ODAC+O2 on one PCB, giving me some more experience in mixed signal design. I'm not sure when I could start playing around with this idea since I only have access to the Altium design software at work, and I'd prefer using that for the features as opposed to other freeware packages out there(unless there's comparable ones someone can recommend).
Old 21st July 2012, 07:10 AM   #2660
diyAudio Member

Default Where is NWavGuy lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewasiuk View Post
I'd also be interested in combining the ODAC+O2 on one PCB, giving me some more experience in mixed signal design.....
Question for the designer; he mentioned PCB layout is critical to the DAC performance and especially noise.

BTW, What happened to our illustrious RocketScientist? His blog posts were reliably every month since way back, but he has not posted since May. Is he well?

Hide this!Advertise here!