Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 11:11 AM   #2641
diyAudio Member

Well blow me down and knock me over....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSCF7799-w640.jpeg (152.3 KB, 370 views)
Old 16th July 2012, 11:30 AM   #2642
diyAudio Member

I've been shock-proofing my O2. There's no give so if it dropped on to something hard then there is a real risk of damage, such as fracture, perhaps, of solder.

I filed down the edges and put electrical tape as the soft zone on each of the four edges. I've only put a little on front and back as there is limited usable space. Filing down also means that were one to do the double battery arrangement, as in the previous photo, then there will be space for a little anti-shock foam (or whatever material) on the top the the highest battery.

The ODAC also has a piece of cardboard on top of the coil filter as well as a large piece keeping it in place at the rear. I'm considering filing down some of the ODAC pcb as the USB jack area is too tight for anti-shock, and lead-free solder is even more delicate so I think it's a necessary adjustment.

(marvellously, I dropped the O2 on to stone just after doing this. The ODAC was already installed, but the force was lateral and merely moved the ODAC out of alignment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSCF7800-w640.jpeg (147.5 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by lorriman; 16th July 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:59 AM   #2643
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
Can someone remind me how many cells these batteries need. I remember that some aren't suitable due to too few or too many cells.
here the excerpt from NwAvGuy's Blog:
"TYPE OF BATTERIES - The O2 is intended to use Ni-MH “9 volt” (usually 8.4 volt rated) batteries. The Tenergy 8.4V batteries in the parts list are about 9.5 volts when fully charged and have 7 cells inside. There are also 6 cell (7.2 volt) and 8 cell (9.6 volt) batteries. While the 6 and 8 cell versions will sort of work, they’re not recommended. Alternately, you can also use disposable 9 volt alkaline batteries as you would in a Cmoy. Do not connect the AC power with Alkaline batteries installed (they’re not rechargeable)."
Old 16th July 2012, 04:31 PM   #2644
diyAudio Member

A lot of mouser parts are on backorder for the o2. I don't think I can wait till October...
Old 16th July 2012, 04:33 PM   #2645
diyAudio Member

Check Digikey for the remaining parts. Here in Canada it only cost $8 shipping from Digikey for the remaining parts that I needed to finish a build.
Old 16th July 2012, 05:05 PM   #2646
diyAudio Member

Oh, Digikey also has the nicer knobs if you're placing an order with them. ML-50-4-6MM Kilo International | 226-4003-ND | DigiKey
Old 16th July 2012, 08:03 PM   #2647
diyAudio Member

Default O2 Desktop Version

Built into a Black Cube clone case.

Click the image to open in full size.

The O2 board was piggy-backed on the Black Cube clone pcb, which is exactly the same width. The battery-related parts, gain switch, input/output sockets, LED, and volume control were left off the O2 board and wired up as required.

The original O2 volume control was replaced by a new Alps 10KAx2, and the output socket by two new gold-plated Neutrik ones. The O2 on/off switch was left in place and is operated via an extender through a new hole drilled in the front panel just above the LED.

There's an input switch at the back to select between the ODAC and one pair of rear phono sockets, the other pair of phono sockets being connected to the left-hand headphone socket to act as a switched output, as in the original (?) clone.

AC comes in from a socket at the rear via a short length of USB cable, with the cable screen grounded at the front end.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th July 2012, 02:53 AM   #2648
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post
Oh, Digikey also has the nicer knobs if you're placing an order with them. ML-50-4-6MM Kilo International | 226-4003-ND | DigiKey
They definitely do have the better knobs. It still doesn't solve my problem because Digikey doesnt have Lelon capacitors...that's the part that has the longest backorder.

I would hate to place an order in 3 different places, shipping can get expensive for one part or two.
Old 17th July 2012, 04:51 AM   #2649
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar0215 View Post
I would hate to place an order in 3 different places, shipping can get expensive for one part or two.
Likewise. There are plenty of alternatives listed in the BOM: Nichicon UVR1V471MPD1, Epcos B41827A7477M000, Panasonic, EEU-FR1V471B, ECA-1VM471B
Else you could get the whole lot from me

Stefan
Old 17th July 2012, 06:13 AM   #2650
brickj is offline brickj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

pby - thanks for the battery recommendation, I'll give them a try.

The Tenergy batteries don't seem readily available in the UK, hence the quest for alternatives (that fit, without interfering with the case.)

Hide this!Advertise here!