The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 264 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 12:49 AM   #2631
diyAudio Member

Any surface mount designs floating around? I'm thinking of creating an SMT version of the board with the design software I use at work but I'm curious if there's any baselines I could compare to.
Old 14th July 2012, 03:52 AM   #2632
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewasiuk View Post
Any surface mount designs floating around? I'm thinking of creating an SMT version of the board with the design software I use at work but I'm curious if there's any baselines I could compare to.
I wish someone would do that (SMD version)! The O2's physical size could probably shrink 30% or more if both sides of the board and SMD parts were used, and/or more stuff could be put on. You might want to shoot RocketScientist a PM or email on his website. Maybe he would have some interest in the project. Sounds like he is pretty slammed with the day job right now, but if someone else did a layout and board stuffing maybe he would be willing to look it over. By his licensing terms on the O2 design you could only use the (modified) design/board for yourself - the DIYers here couldn't do a group buy, etc from the way I read it. Maybe he would be willing to allow a SMD version of the PCB to be made available to the DIY community once the art is done and if he were able to find time to verify the results on his equipment.

You also might want to consider starting a separate "SMD O2" thread too, given the length of this one. I'll bet there are a lot of folks on the forum here with SMD experience that might want to chip in comments and ideas on something like that.

Just a thought!

Last edited by agdr; 14th July 2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 14th July 2012, 06:38 AM   #2633
brickj is offline brickj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

lorriman - I'm on the same quest. The other issue I have is some batteries I've tried are a tad too thick and interfere with the inside of the case. Keen to find some good batteries in the UK, with reasonable capacity, that fit! Please let me know if you find something suitable!

Thanks.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:26 PM   #2634
diyAudio Member

Lidl sell 9v rechargable batteries from time to time.
I bought some a while ago but have not had a chance to try them yet so can't comment on their physical size.
I don't have them with me right now but I think they were 200 mA.
I saw them in one of their stores last week, usually mixed in with a variety of other rechargable batteries.
They do sell out quick in case you were interested. Can't remember exact price but were quite cheap.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:23 AM   #2635
diyAudio Member

I have been using the LIDL batteries for several months now, no problems. They are stuck to the O2 board with double-sided foam tape, and fit the B2 case nicely. Tip - use an old, discharged PP3 battery, with the foam tape underneath, when positioning the battery terminals, as recommended by RS. Incidentally, no blog entries from RS lately, was hoping to hear more on the desktop O2 by now.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:54 PM   #2636
brickj is offline brickj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Unfortunately my local Lidl didn't have any rechargeable batteries, but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any recommendations for easy-to-source UK batteries that fit, please let me know.

I installed the battery connectors, using a dud to hold them in place, as close to the PCB as possible. However, the rechargeable batteries I have seem to have quite square corners, it's these that interfere with the case. I'm loathed to buy more batteries without a higher degree of confidence they're going to fit! Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Last edited by brickj; 15th July 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Improve English
Old 15th July 2012, 08:39 PM   #2637
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickj View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately my local Lidl didn't have any rechargeable batteries, but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any recommendations for easy-to-source UK batteries that fit, please let me know.

I installed the battery connectors, using a dud to hold them in place, as close to the PCB as possible. However, the rechargeable batteries I have seem to have quite square corners, it's these that interfere with the case. I'm loathed to buy more batteries without a higher degree of confidence they're going to fit! Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Why don't you want to get the same ones nwavguy used in his build off ebay?

-joe
Old 15th July 2012, 08:50 PM   #2638
diyAudio Member

UK builders - I have some 280mAh batteries which I could sell on to you? They do hit the upper corner but I actually find that to be preferable - keeps everything inside from shaking about. Drop me a PM or email if you are interested.
Old 16th July 2012, 03:31 AM   #2639
pby is offline pby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Amazon uk sells ansmann max-e 200mAh cells for a fiver. They have low self discharge and fits inside a b2 case with no problems. I've used these for almost a year now and still working great. Ansmann makes a 250mAh as well but it's like twice the price of the 200mAh and I have no idea if it would fit.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:59 AM   #2640
diyAudio Member

Can someone remind me how many cells these batteries need. I remember that some aren't suitable due to too few or too many cells.

Hide this!Advertise here!