The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 263 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 07:25 PM   #2621
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post
Just to let you know that after having received new Q1 & U5 (thanks to Stefan), and replaced them, my O2 works like a charm :-).
i don't know if i add it the ODAC or wait for the desktop version :-)
nice to see I could help you and everything worked out for you and your O2, have fun and enjoy it, I certainly do

Stefan
Old 11th July 2012, 12:30 PM   #2622
diyAudio Member

I'm having a bit of a issue with battery life. I'm getting around 4 hours of use out of the amp on batteries.

First use I 'only' gave then 7 hours charge. They lasted about 3 hours. Fine, I thought, and gave them 24 hours of charging. I've been using the amp on and off over the last couple of days, probably around 4 hours of use, and today it's strobing on and off (which I'm assuming is related to low battery level). The Initial checks all passed without problem and in use the amp sounds fine. I'm using the full kit and batteries from headnhifi.

What run times are typical with this kit & batteries? I'll run through a full check again tonight, but is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?
Old 12th July 2012, 12:20 AM   #2623
diyAudio Member

I received the back panel for the B3 build I'm doing. It turned out very well!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th July 2012, 05:57 AM   #2624
diyAudio Member

Am I correct in that the power supply needs to be 12-20v AC current? What are the ranges allowable for milliamps rating?
Old 12th July 2012, 08:17 AM   #2625
diyAudio Member

From NwAvGuy

"Power Jack – For AC line power or charging, connect the AC wall transformer to this jack. The standard plug is 5.5mm outside and 2.1mm inside. The transformer output can be anywhere from 14 VAC to 20 VAC and at least 200 mA. Don’t use more than 20 VAC or less than 14 VAC (except for the 12 VAC transformers listed in the parts list). Do not try to use a DC adapter. A DC adapter may appear to work if batteries are installed, but the amp will be at least partly running off the batteries. "
Old 12th July 2012, 08:24 AM   #2626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGoLarz View Post
From NwAvGuy

"Power Jack Ė For AC line power or charging, connect the AC wall transformer to this jack. The standard plug is 5.5mm outside and 2.1mm inside. The transformer output can be anywhere from 14 VAC to 20 VAC and at least 200 mA. Donít use more than 20 VAC or less than 14 VAC (except for the 12 VAC transformers listed in the parts list). Do not try to use a DC adapter. A DC adapter may appear to work if batteries are installed, but the amp will be at least partly running off the batteries. "
So 200ma is the minimum, but does it matter if I get a 2A (for example) one?
Old 12th July 2012, 09:28 AM   #2627
diyAudio Member

I run my O2 with a 15VAC 1A transformer. The only thing that matters is the price if you going to buy a transformer.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:15 PM   #2628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplethings View Post
I'm having a bit of a issue with battery life. I'm getting around 4 hours of use out of the amp on batteries.

First use I 'only' gave then 7 hours charge. They lasted about 3 hours. Fine, I thought, and gave them 24 hours of charging. I've been using the amp on and off over the last couple of days, probably around 4 hours of use, and today it's strobing on and off (which I'm assuming is related to low battery level). The Initial checks all passed without problem and in use the amp sounds fine. I'm using the full kit and batteries from headnhifi.

What run times are typical with this kit & batteries? I'll run through a full check again tonight, but is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?
With 9V 200mAh low self-discharge Tenergy batteries, I typically get 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. The battery and how much power (how loud) you use will determine how long a run time you have. Most have posted similar run times (5-6 hours). I would advise a couple of discharge/charge cycles for the batteries to settle in.
Old 12th July 2012, 06:39 PM   #2629
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow419 View Post
With 9V 200mAh low self-discharge Tenergy batteries, I typically get 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. The battery and how much power (how loud) you use will determine how long a run time you have. Most have posted similar run times (5-6 hours). I would advise a couple of discharge/charge cycles for the batteries to settle in.
Sounds around the same ball park. The batteries I have are 300mAh and its still early days. It just seems a lot less use time than my 'high performance' mini^3.
I did a quick check last night and everything seems fine. 5 mins of charging and the oscillation is gone.
I'll see how it goes and do some proper measurements if I'm still not content.
Thanks for the information and pointers.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:39 AM   #2630
diyAudio Member

Anyone know of decent batteries of the right kind for the UK (and Europe, maybe). Not too keen to import Tenergies.

It would be great to get recommendations for higher capacity batteries also.

I'm sure there's a lot of rubbish out there and I am hoping to avoid it.

Hide this!Advertise here!