The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 259 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2012, 08:34 AM   #2581
Splatem is offline Splatem  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

@xaurot
I will be testing a replacement MOSFET for Q2 in about two weeks, and will let you know if it fixes the problem I am seeing.

@jayce996
Have you looked on eBay? The O2 BOM lists alternative part numbers which you might be able to find with cheaper postage on the bay.
Old 25th June 2012, 08:37 AM   #2582
QRikard is offline QRikard  Sweden
diyAudio Member

For europe you could check farnell or elfa for example which might have the parts and probably cheaper shipping.
Old 25th June 2012, 12:58 PM   #2583
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Hi,

if you need single spare parts you can also shoot me a PM, I buy all the parts in high quantities and am able to offer them to you at lower prices than mouser farnell & co. if single parts are required. Postage will be moderate is sent by letter mail in a bubble envelope

Stefan
Old 25th June 2012, 06:46 PM   #2584
diyAudio Member

I need some clarification on RS's low power option which I intend to build next. He writes :

"You might also consider doubling the values of all six gain resistors and cutting the compensation capacitors in half to reduce the loading on the first stage."

All six gain resistors? I thought there were only four. Looking at the BOM I can see R3, R7, R19, R23, R17 and R21 are mentioned in some respect to gain resistors. Are these the ones? I know it seems obvious but I've learned the hard way not to make optimistic assumptions.

The compensation capacitors: I have no idea what these are. Which C numbers are we talking of here?

thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 07:51 PM   #2585
diyAudio Member

You've got 6 gain resistors because there are two gain settings.
Rf = R16/22
Rg = R17/21 + R19/23

The caps are C19/20, in parallel to R16/22. Aim for same RC time constant.

An exact factor of 2 probably won't be feasible, but 2.2 should be.

BTW, I would actually recommend doing this. Low-power parts tend to have current-starved output stages which will be happier when loaded less. Gain stage noise usually is significantly attenuated anyway.

Last edited by sgrossklass; 25th June 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 25th June 2012, 07:57 PM   #2586
diyAudio Member

I know you already know this, but you'd be better off referring to the schematic instead of the BOM. Some of the resistors "are mentioned in some respect to gain resistors" on the BOM only because they are the same value. The gain resistors are R16, R17, R19, R21, R22, and R23. The compensation capacitors are C19 and C20.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:52 PM   #2587
diyAudio Member

Where do you guys buy 15-20V AC adaptor(EU plug preferable)? Anyone got a link to one that works with the O2?

Edit: Found one: http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/el/st...1000-ma-p44208

18V or 15V, the same or would 18V give more power?

Last edited by everlong; 25th June 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:01 PM   #2588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
I know you already know this, but you'd be better off referring to the schematic instead of the BOM. Some of the resistors "are mentioned in some respect to gain resistors" on the BOM only because they are the same value. The gain resistors are R16, R17, R19, R21, R22, and R23. The compensation capacitors are C19 and C20.
Thanks for that sgrossklass and Sofaspud.

In the meantime I'm listening, on my bed in my dimly but warmly lit room, to my O2+Odac with a nice bourbon and the 800 CD collection of my off-the-beaten-track-musical-taste flatmate. Here's raising a glass to Wigwam "Dark Album" which I've just happily barged in to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSCF7786pp-w640.jpeg (139.2 KB, 289 views)
Old 25th June 2012, 10:20 PM   #2589
diyAudio Member

Are there any differences in the B2 and B3 enclosure other than the height? Is the PCB the same hight from the bottom of the enclosure on both cases? I'm looking to order a custom front panel for a B3, and am wondering if I just increase the height of the template for the B2 enclosure in the FPE software if it will fit the input/output etc correctly?
Old 28th June 2012, 03:38 AM   #2590
diyAudio Member

For a higher impedence headphone, like senn 650's, what would be a good gain for desktop only?

Hide this!Advertise here!