The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 255 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2012, 05:45 PM   #2541
diyAudio Member

How would I go about replacing the 3.5mm jacks with 1/4" ones? I bought these, which are surface mount. I understand I'll have to use wire between the holes on the board and the contacts on the jack. It's just not obvious to me which correspond.
NJ3FD-V Neutrik | Mouser

It looks like that has 5 contacts, but mine didn't come that way. I have the top one, then the two that are closest to it on the sides. I'm missing the bottom two.
Old 15th June 2012, 05:53 PM   #2542
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

jtktam, here are some?

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

What do you expect to see? Knowing that would make it easier to take the right shots.

Brgds
Old 16th June 2012, 10:18 PM   #2543
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

I'm getting my parts list together. Is there anything special over the basic BOM that I will need to accommodate 16 ohm and 64 ohm headphones, in particular the Senn CX500 and HD570 which are what I intend to use with this unit?
Old 17th June 2012, 04:01 AM   #2544
haejuk is offline haejuk  United States
diyAudio Member

All you really need to keep in mind for driving your CX500 is the gain. You might not want the default 2.5x and 6x as your settings. I built my O2 with 1x gain as one of the settings to drive my IEMs. It is really easy, you just leave R17 and R21 (or R19 and R23) off.
Old 17th June 2012, 01:41 PM   #2545
diyAudio Member

It would be useful to know nominal source amplitude (or the type of source), and whether the amp will be operated on batteries or on mains power.

Sensitivity is likely to be quite different between the two headphones. CX500s (assuming they are original) are specified at 113 dB / 1 V, while HD570s only output 102 dB / 1 V (at a nominal 64 ohms) and are almost as hard to drive as K701s. It would make sense to run one on low gain and the other on high gain.
Old 17th June 2012, 03:06 PM   #2546
diyAudio Member

How durable are the lines on the board? I was cutting the traces for the ODAC and I slipped a little and scratched the line above it. I can see a little bit of copper, like barley noticeable... is that ok?
Old 17th June 2012, 03:33 PM   #2547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsfan6239 View Post
How durable are the lines on the board? I was cutting the traces for the ODAC and I slipped a little and scratched the line above it. I can see a little bit of copper, like barley noticeable... is that ok?
There's a very high likelihood that you're absolutely fine.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:16 PM   #2548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanolson View Post
There's a very high likelihood that you're absolutely fine.
Lol just making sure.
Old 18th June 2012, 03:57 AM   #2549
diyAudio Member

Just finished my first o2 Amp!
Works great from battery, however, when powered from the AC adapter wau12-200 there is a very loud buzzing sound and no music is playing.
Old 18th June 2012, 06:07 AM   #2550
diyAudio Member

If your AC adapter is good, there is likely a component oriented incorrectly or a solder bridge creating a short. Inspect the DC jack, diodes, capacitors, & regulators for a problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!