Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2012, 04:13 AM   #2511
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Nice work guys!

@thirdman... I drilled 5 holes and then started to work it with needlefiles.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:38 AM   #2512
diyAudio Member

I ended up using a piece of stiff, curved cardboard, from an empty cocoa powder container to jam the ODAC, as mentioned in my previous post. I didn't want swelling wood - my initial idea - in damper times to cause issues.

Right now all works but I get quiet cracklings with movement. I haven't insulated the USB jack from the aluminium hole: they are in contact. I suspect this is the cause and may widen it a little and put electrical tape around the jack. I'm concerned to have the jack tightly fitted to reduce strain issues from abuse.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:44 AM   #2513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
Nice work guys!

@thirdman... I drilled 5 holes and then started to work it with needlefiles.
I've also completed on this, after drilling a 3.5 mm hole, with needle files. Seems to be the way to go.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:44 AM   #2514
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am surprised you guys get any noise from the odac at all.. i suspect that it is the soldering at the input jack that is causing the issues..

i have tried numerous ways to wiggle, shake, etc.. the odac's i have here and they don't make noise..

-joe
Old 11th June 2012, 10:56 AM   #2515
diyAudio Member

Widening the USB port hole in the back-plate to stop contact with the USB jack seems to have solved my crackling issues. I didn't use electrical tape to have a tight fit, in the end, as the jack is wedged tightly between the O2's PCB and the ODAC's PCB. There's still left and right sides to think about to avoid lateral stresses.

Looks like my soldering is alright then, Jtktam.

Ps, haven't forgotten about those chocs; just haven't been in touch with my godmother recently.
Old 11th June 2012, 02:07 PM   #2516
diyAudio Member

I still have some hissing noice at some frequencies. Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" has a synth playing in the beginning of the song and that seems to be the right kind of sound to produce the hiss. I don't have this issue with other usb dacs or with other gizmos... I haven't scrutinezed the combo further but I will when time given.

Obvious is to recheck for contact between the case and USB.

Brgds
Old 11th June 2012, 03:20 PM   #2517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I still have some hissing noice at some frequencies. Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" has a synth playing in the beginning of the song and that seems to be the right kind of sound to produce the hiss. I don't have this issue with other usb dacs or with other gizmos... I haven't scrutinezed the combo further but I will when time given.

Obvious is to recheck for contact between the case and USB.

Brgds

I have not noticed any hissing noise at all, however, I do not have the back plate on yet. Is the hiss low level? Could it be on the recording or elsewhere in your chain? I will listen with my Ultimate Ears triple-fi 10 earbuds tonight(very high efficiency) and see if I can hear anything.
Old 11th June 2012, 06:31 PM   #2518
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

i am pretty sure it's not the usb.. unless it is creating some kind of ground loop

-joe
Old 12th June 2012, 06:50 PM   #2519
diyAudio Member

OK, I can't get rid of the hissing. The O2 works flawlessly with another USB DAC.
Rechecked all solderings but I can't tell if they're failing... My testing has been conducted without box, all tape removed, the ODAC hanging in thinn air with only headphones connected to the O2 and the USB cable as input... Still the same hiss...

Now what? Should I beg for a replacement?

Brgds
Old 12th June 2012, 07:03 PM   #2520
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, I can't get rid of the hissing. The O2 works flawlessly with another USB DAC.
Rechecked all solderings but I can't tell if they're failing... My testing has been conducted without box, all tape removed, the ODAC hanging in thinn air with only headphones connected to the O2 and the USB cable as input... Still the same hiss...

Now what? Should I beg for a replacement?

Brgds
No need to beg ok, but seriously, have you tried a different USB cable, I had two faulty ones already... another thing to test would be if the hiss disappears with the 3.5mm connector, if both fails I send you a new one, but need the little hisser in return

Stefan

Hide this!Advertise here!