The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 245 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2012, 05:55 PM   #2441
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
Sure, but that's for the self-builder. For the consumer, especially of high-end headphone amps, $400 for what the O2 represents, is good value.
Given that value is highly subjective, I think you might some folks disagreeing with you on that.
Old 8th May 2012, 06:21 PM   #2442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
Given that value is highly subjective, I think you might some folks disagreeing with you on that.
I was comparing it to an equivalent device so not subjective at all on that level. Sure, on the human level value, it depends on what people want and how much; but I wouldn't dare go near that subject.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:10 PM   #2443
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
[...] I wouldn't dare go near that subject.
especially as the device is designed to objective standards
Old 9th May 2012, 12:00 PM   #2444
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
will be available on Monday regarding to Fedex have to refund you some of the shipping costs as well, just seen the crappy cart overcarged you...

Stefan
Thanks Stefan, just noticed
Old 9th May 2012, 12:57 PM   #2445
diyAudio Member

This is about markets as well, few people have ever heard of a headphone amplifier, I made a CMOY for my brothers 50th birthday, and he’s been listening to music seriously for 40 of those years and was astounded at the little amp and how much it improved his Walkman sound quality. When I told him I had made it myself and it cost less than 30, (plus I put it in a Jack Daniel’s 1 oz tobacco tin, his favourite drink btw)he was amazed. He asked me what I would charge for making a couple for him to give as gifts to his friends. So I thought about it and said 100 each. Of course that price is what I would expect to make in profit, I’m not making a special gift for my brother I’m making them to be passed on, there’s a big difference.
What you have to bare in mind with these projects is the things you have to do / buy besides just assembling them.
Finding the parts ( the right parts not the cheapest)
Dealing with suppliers
Ordering them.
Missing the delivery and having to drive to the local post office depot to pick them up.
Trawling eBay for the correct enclosures.
Sorting the parts.
Soldering the parts.
Assembling the enclosures and amp.
Testing the amp.
Advertising them.
Packaging them.
Hauling them to the courier.
Dealing with unsatisfied customers.
Collecting the money.
Accountancy
Marketing
Creating spread sheets to keep track of all the parts you have and need.
Space and equipment for the assembly.
Tools.
I’m sure I could find more, but that’s the point I made to my brother, there’s a huge difference between audiophile enthusiasm for a fantastic little piece of electronics also I might point out you know it’s fantastic you have to convince other people they are and that’s hard with audio as its mostly subjective. Which gets me back to the market, how many people know how good an O2 amp is ? Chances are it’s because they have listened to one, and the chances are that was either made by themselves or by some who could quite easily make one for them. So the market itself is extremely narrow, people who know what the O2 amp is , don’t want to make one themselves and understand its quality because of statistics. That’s a very small market.
Old 9th May 2012, 02:07 PM   #2446
diyAudio Member

Also add in:
Paypal fees
Parts going on back-order with no suitable equivalents available
Suppliers not sticking to agreed delivery dates
Shipments getting lost in transit
Repairs and servicing
Cost of complying with legislation like CE testing / approval / marking
Currency fluctuations...
Old 9th May 2012, 03:47 PM   #2447
diyAudio Member

And if you are registered as a small business there is the income tax on the small amount you have left over... if any
Old 9th May 2012, 03:53 PM   #2448
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And if you are registered as a small business there is the income tax on the small amount you have left over... if any
I intend to suppress this one constantly

and..

supplier does not deliver to specs...
but a bargain to be made for others

Last edited by swalter; 9th May 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: quote tag not working
Old 9th May 2012, 05:16 PM   #2449
diyAudio Member

Swalter , everything arraived today thanks for the very speedy shipment mate
Old 9th May 2012, 09:12 PM   #2450
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
Swalter , everything arraived today thanks for the very speedy shipment mate
very welcome sir, thanks for the feedback!

Hide this!Advertise here!