The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 236 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2012, 12:27 AM   #2351
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangoran View Post
Nice heatsinking job with the zalmans - is it really worth the trouble though to heatsink the opamps?
For operation on AC power into challenging headphones (HiFiMan planars, etc.) the heatsinks might help the op amps perform a bit better. As long as you're using real headphones, real music (not sinewaves), and the ambient temps are reasonable, I don't think the op amps are in danger of failing without heatsinks. But the performance does degrade slightly as they approach their thermal limits.

For operation on battery, or with more typical headphones, I don't think heatsinks are necessary unless perhaps you plan to use your O2 out in the sun in hot weather.

As a rule of thumb, if you can stand to keep your finger on them for several seconds they're not too hot.
Old 12th April 2012, 03:38 AM   #2352
diyAudio Member

I did a bit of testing prior to sticking the heatsinks on. The test involved running 60 Hz sine waves for a couple minutes through the amp. The highest temperature I managed to get the output opamps is 47C without the heatsinks. With the heatsinks, the temperature reached 42C. The datasheet lists 85C max operating temprature so the 47C is still well within the operating range. In severe conditions, the heatsinks may help keep the opamp temperatures down.

The story behind the heatsinks is I originally got the idea from O2 threads on diyaudio and stumbled on the heatsinks at a local computer parts store. I got a pack of 8 for a few bucks on sale and thought I would try to fit them out with my latest O2 build.

RocketScientist - Thanks for your contributions. Love reading your blog articles.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:17 AM   #2353
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000impreza View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I did a bit of testing prior to sticking the heatsinks on. The test involved running 60 Hz sine waves for a couple minutes through the amp. The highest temperature I managed to get the output opamps is 47C without the heatsinks. With the heatsinks, the temperature reached 42C. The datasheet lists 85C max operating temprature.....

What headphone is that? For planars it may be more of an issue.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:45 PM   #2354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
What headphone is that? For planars it may be more of an issue.
It was done using 47ohm dummy load resistors. I didnít want to run test sine waves through a headphone at full volume. Under lower impedance, higher current demanding load and less favorable environmental conditions it is possible to surpass the temperatures I reached in my test. Ie. Hifiman HE-5 at loud volumes on high gain with amp in a hot room or directly in the sunlight.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:43 PM   #2355
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Yangoran Send a message via MSN to Yangoran Send a message via Skype™ to Yangoran
Quote:
I did a bit of testing prior to sticking the heatsinks on. The test involved running 60 Hz sine waves for a couple minutes through the amp. The highest temperature I managed to get the output opamps is 47C without the heatsinks. With the heatsinks, the temperature reached 42C. The datasheet lists 85C max operating temprature so the 47C is still well within the operating range. In severe conditions, the heatsinks may help keep the opamp temperatures down.
Did you do testing with the amp outside of the enclosure though? I imagine that things would get quite a bit hotter when it is inside.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:34 PM   #2356
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangoran View Post
Did you do testing with the amp outside of the enclosure though? I imagine that things would get quite a bit hotter when it is inside.
Good point. Testing was completed with amp board outside of the case. If I remember, I'll re-test the output op amp temperatures in the case for my next build and post the results. Honestly, even in worst case scenario I would expect the temperatures still well within the safe operating range (-40~+85C) based on NJM 4556A datasheet.

Anyone else tested output op-amp temperatures with or without heat sinks?
Old 13th April 2012, 09:47 AM   #2357
diyAudio Member

Default O2 PCBs available for immediate shipping

If anyone is interested, I have a few O2 PCBs available for immediate shipping - see O2 Headphone Amp - PCBs from stock, worldwide
for details.
Old 13th April 2012, 05:03 PM   #2358
BlueRob is offline BlueRob  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good point. Testing was completed with amp board outside of the case. If I remember, I'll re-test the output op amp temperatures in the case for my next build and post the results. Honestly, even in worst case scenario I would expect the temperatures still well within the safe operating range (-40~+85C) based on NJM 4556A datasheet.

Anyone else tested output op-amp temperatures with or without heat sinks?
No offense mate but I think you worry to much....IC temps are not one of the things in life to worry about IMO. Plug the O2 and enjoy music
Old 13th April 2012, 07:40 PM   #2359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRob View Post
No offense mate but I think you worry to much....IC temps are not one of the things in life to worry about IMO. Plug the O2 and enjoy music
No offence taken. You are probably right. I have way too much fun putting together DIY headphone amps.
Old 16th April 2012, 01:26 AM   #2360
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Yangoran Send a message via MSN to Yangoran Send a message via Skype™ to Yangoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRob View Post
Yea I imagine the O2 will sound good regardless of whether or not you spend time heatsinking your opamp ICs but I am rather curious as to whether or not there is a measurable difference when driving challenging loads.

Hide this!Advertise here!